Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fully custom 10 with eclipse fuge - 130 watts!

Carl_in_Florida

Carl_in_Florida

First of all, here is the finished product

res_1632392500.jpg

So I had this Eclipse 6 for about 9 months. I spoke about it here.

So I wanted to go with a metal halide but I did not like the results. I bought a Catalina bulb and retro'd a Regent a la http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=16346

I bought an aromat balast on ebay. But it lighted up the whole room and it as so yellow!

res_2084483442.jpg

So I waited to convert my 29. After a while I realized that I could not afford the rock for a 29 so I decided to go with a 10 for several reasons. A 10 keeps the cost of pumps and other mainetnance down and I could build a hood for it unlike a bowfront.

I really liked Agu's tanks over at RC so I was gonna try something like that but I realized that I could eliminate one cost by using the Eclipse as a fuge. I wanted the stand to be higher than usual because I wanted to see it without bending down.

The stand is built out of 2x4s (which, I found out through this project are not actually 2X4) with a plywood top and a plywood shelf near the bottom. I have a shelf that sits on some slats that can be removed for access to the fuge.

res921241151_001.jpg

I attached paneling to the side and used a magnet held panel for the front.

I was gonna use one of those DJ switch things but I am to cheap! http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl?eqint_...002081617132481

Instead I wired 5 outlets 4 of which are switched in the front of the stand. This works out really well so I can turn of the pumps, Metal Halide, Actinics, and the fuge seperately (or any set of 4 things I want). In addition, the MH and the 03s are on timers. All of this is coupled to a cord that plugs into a gfci outlet on the wall.

res199620764_001.jpg

I put paneling on the sides and used magnets to keep the panel door attached. I wanted as much access as possible

res_1097798430.jpg

I drilled the glass using the tutorial from Von http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ight=drill+tank

This is really easy. I borowed a dremel, bought a bit from wally-world and went at it. Then I built an overflow from pvc. I read this in a thread somewhere but I can't find it now. Basically cut a piece of pvc, then jam an elbow in it. Then cap the bottom and rib the top. I did one of those external dursos to minimize the noise.

res1031749395_001.jpgres1513387963_001.jpg

res1753928092_001.jpg

I bought a ViaAqua pump for return based purely on price. I am really happy with the flow and it does not heat the tank.

Carl_in_Florida

The lighting is the original catalina 70watt (which is really yellow) with 2 32 watt customsealife actinics. These are really blue! I got the 32 watt balasts from a guy on reefcentral.

Someone had an idea to use pvc as a reflector so I thought I would try it.

res_1391852371.jpg

There is nothing special about the fuge. Just an Eclipse 6 with sand and a bubble trap. I have Chaeto on the way.

The hood comes off really easily which was a goal

res_857258301_001.jpg

Here is the final result

res_573074525.jpg

res_1632392500.jpg

I am really happy with the way it turned out

Let me know if you have questions. You can see more photos on the website.

VERY NICE B) I am jelouse lol I just bought a 20" Sattalite light fixture from Current, I was wondering how hard it would be to convert it to a MH for my MB7??

digitallinx

very nice!!!!......just get some shrink wrap or a couple of twist ties for the wiring and you are set......what do you use the gas tank for?

Carl_in_Florida

Travis - Someone converted something like that in another thread

digi - That is kind of a sloppy picture but yeah, I need to get something to wrap those wires. I am not in love with the pc light holders (though I am in love with the color!). I haven't done anything with the wires because I am not sure what the plan is yet.

Thanks for all the other poistive comments.

Carl_in_Florida
Originally posted by digitallinx

what do you use the gas tank for?

RO water. I had no idea that halides cause this much evap! Time for an auto topoff.

Carl

Carl_in_Florida

hey bird, I have this conflicting feeling looking at your post. on one hand i see the sig with the pics of your sweeeet tank, then i see the Ice clip.

Something grabs a hold of me tightly flow like a harpoon daily and nightly

You don't have lyrics like that anymore

Thanks none the less

trmiv - I waited to find a black clown. photos of his homecoming are on my site.

Carl

Derek_setter

what types of corals u planning on keeping in that sucker?

lookin awsome ... you make me feel bad about how messy and jery rigged my tank is... ahh well.... now maybe i will actually wokr on my tank ...great job again, and i LOVE that overflow...very cool

Carl_in_Florida

derek - Thanks. That was the second one that I made. The notches were all crooked on the first one.

I really just want zoos though I have a small torch frag that is thriving and some candycanes. I am looking into maybe a monti cap or a monti digi but I really am not the type to follow my water that close.

Carl_in_Florida

I can't find the thread I used so here is the basic info on the overflow:

I cut a section of 2" pvc and capped one end. I got the dremmel and cut the notches in it. I actually had to do this twice because the first one looked really bad. It took some practice to get those notches straight.

I then drilled a hole big enough for a pvc elbow and jammed it in there facing down. This is for noise reduction. I screwed the elbow into a coupler then put a short piece of pvc to attach the whole thing to the bulkhead.

res791209266.jpg

Together with the durso thingy this is really quiet.

Archived