ReefCleaners.org

Yes .....no?

FamousGuy

alright since i'm broke 24/7 and basically have to rely on the RO unit at my parents house(they dont know a THING about it, they don't even know if its a DI as well.  The tapwater in this town is awful so if it's not a great unit its gotta be leaching something through).  I also use glacier machines at the store, which some claim have lots of phosphates and even traces of copper on occasion.  I got an ghetto idea about using my old 6 gallon as a water storage tank and using a filter with a copper sponge just to be safe.... and chemipure for the phosphates.  Is this a good idea or a should i junk it?  How often would the copper media need to be replaced...even if its not picking anything up

Get an LFS to test the water for phosphates and copper before going ahead with it.

Once tested you can figure out if such action is really needed.

If its needed I think it would work.

It all depends on how bad the water is to begin with.

quiksilver5768

That is a good idea famousguy. I have been using glacier water from the groccery store and have been noticing that its almost the same as tap water when it comes to phosphates. Algae always pops up even when using this water. I was thinking about this same idea earlier but never got to actually try it

Im currently keeping my RO water ina 12 gallon rubbermaid tub. This means i would have to get some type of internal filter where the cartridge filter media can be removed so i can replace some chemi-pure inside of the container.

I agreee with Sahin though, get it tested first...if its bad go with it. Tel me how it works out too! :)

Nishant3789

lol y not, ahem, borrow ure parents RO unit? i mean how much could they need it? lol otherwise sure i think it may work. and if not y not get  a new filter for the RO? hth

nishant

quik i think what i'm gonna do is get a copper test and i'll do five gallon glacier runs like once a month and test the water of each run for copper.  I doubt it's in there, but someone on this board said they detected copper once so better safe than sorry you know?  I actually haven't had much of a problem with algae though, thats a good sign.  Oh well as soon as i get off my lazy ass and buy the test kits i'll update you guys (the lfs won't test my water, weird huh?)

Archived