Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lumia 5.2 max operating temp

vbsaltydog

I am building a thermal protection circuit for my Lumia 5.2 build. I was wondering what the recommended max continual heat is on these chips.

I currently have a temperature of ~105 degrees fahrenheit, roughly 1/4" above the multichip pad's surface when running the chips at 60% power.

Thanks

jedimasterben

The Cree LEDs are binned at 85C and have a maximum operating temperature of something like 130C, but obviously you want to keep it as cool as you can. The violet LEDs have a much lower tolerance, binned at 25C and probably rated for no more than 80-100C.

If you're getting 40C not even touching the thermal pad, then the LEDs are probably 20-30C higher inside them, which is getting a little toasty. What cooling are you using?

They were on P4 CPU coolers with the 80mm 12v fans running at 6v (to keep them silent). I have decided this is inadequate and I am going to put them on 10" heat sinks with 120mm fans where the fans are pwm controlled and rpm will respond to the heat sink temp. There is also a digital temp monitor that will shutdown the pwm to the leds if the max continual heat is exceeded.

Thanks for the info on the max temps.

Archived