inTank Media Baskets

power quad????

mp1973

I want to upgrade my lighting from my 32w CSL retro. To the 96w power quad 50/50. I can get it from Dr.s Foster & Smith for $ 110. I already have the glass top on my tank and I've modded my Eclipse hood. Totally eliminated the filter section. I added an AC 150 for movement. Just with that the water temp stopped jumping. I assume its because the back of the hood has been cut out. Do you peeps think that with the 96 watts I'll have much problem with water temp? And does any one have suggestions about how I can keep my night lighting. I used the 3 led's from the auto sect. wired through an old Nokia cell phone charger. Got that idea from the DIY section of this site. Sorry for the long winded post. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

bravoreefer

any cool fans on it? What size tank is it? I had a prob with a 32w heating my MB7, sometimes more watts means cooling is needed.

i have a csl dual 96w powerquad system i will sell right now for $110 shipped...i bought it in march but just upgraded to a hamilton reefstar halide, so i no longer need the system...has both bulbs, reflectors, etc...

bravo reefer, No fans. When I used the stock eclipse style hood with only the CSL 32w retro my temp was set at 76-77 and they always managed to hit between 83-85 before the lights went out.

I was tired of the stock filtration so I added more live rock and hacked the filter section out of the hood and added an ac 150. I don't use the foam. Its only for water movement. I also changed to the via aqua submersable heater with remote temp control and temp probe. It proved to be allot more accurate than the ebo jager. I also use the maxi jet 900 for movement. I also put an all glass top on the tank to try and aid in evaporation sinse I cut the back portion of the hood out to remove the stock filter. To answer your question it is a 12 gal. I want to upgrade my lighting before I get to carried away with stocking. I have 6 blue legged hermits, 2 turbo snails, 1 pepermint shrimp, 1 clown, and 1 rose bubble tipped anemone. I will be adding some yellow star polyps soon,and probably some mushrooms. I know that the shrooms dont require intense lighting. But as my tank matures I would like to be in the position to be able to add just about anything as far as lighting is concerned.I just figured that with 8watts per gallon would be good. The power quad IMOA it is a nice sleek lookin unit. I was planning on buying the PQ retro. and building a custom hood. but the price to but the whole light was cheaper and would look just as good if not better. If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions on my lighting upgrade it would be much appreciated. MH is an potion but I really didn't want to spend that much and there would definitely be heat issues. Thanks

ifynanceu, I'm going to have to pass on your offer on the power quad deal. If in fact I do choose that lighting, which at this time more than likly will. I will be ordering from Hellolights. Its on sale for $88.00.

bravoreefer

I think that the power quad would be a great light, i would have loved to have been able to put on over my MB7. I couldn't due to small size, but I hope you can find a way. Find out the size of it and just play around with ideas in the hood. Hope you get something figured out to mount it in there.

Archived