Top Shelf Aquatics

Brown buttons not doing so good

Fender963

I have had the buttons in for just under a week now. I also added some green stars at the same time. They are doing really, really well however the buttons aren't doing so good.

They were actually doing pretty good until I did some rearranging and not once have I seen one fully open up. Last I checked all param. were in order, calcium was 370 and alk was 8.

I think it is something to do with the location in my tank. Could someone please help me???

As you can see in the picture I have powerhead in the left back corner blowing along the back wall. The buttons aren't in the direct path of the current but could get alot I'm not sure.

There is also an aquaclear mini right above the green stars. The lighting is a 32 watt pc 50/50 and it is a 10 gallon tank.

Are they too high, too low??? Not enough, too much flow???

Thanx for all the help!!!

Kyle

you might want to move them lower onto the sand. the closure of the polyps may be the colony's attempt to adjust slowly to their new lighting. that is a total stab in the dark because i don't know their lighting or water flow environment before vs. their present 32w and PH current.

i'm assuming the water parameters are fine and there's no inhabitants (or hitchhikers) irritating the colony.

also one week isn't all that long. you could give it a couple of more days. the polyps still look very fleshy (fat/healthy). zoanthids are very hardy animals you've got weeks before disaster. keep us posted! ;)

Give them time...my button polyps are pretty moody if I accidentally touch them. I'd say the lighting is just fine...I have mine 4-5" below the water surface (8-9" from lights) with 275w PC and they stand proud and tall. They'll probably be just fine with patience.

Personally I wouldn't move them again...it'll probably make them stay closed longer.

I would actually lower them. Before you rearranged the tank, were they placed at a lower level?

Most of these corals are placed in low light (under NO fluoros) at the LFS etc and perhaps in your tank the lighting is at a much higher intensity?

If you do leave them where they are, they will most likely to adjust slowly to the high lighting.

Archived