SaltCritters.com

El Digito TANK FAILURE!

masterbuilder

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterbuilder

I love it, but you owe us a better picture dammit!

Please.

Alright, alright alright. So you want another boring El-Digito post? OK...here ya go. Nothing has been changed, nothing has been added, nothing has died, my corals seem healthy with ok colors and are slowly growing, all livestock is alive and doing fine, levels are steady thanks to my auto-doser, the ATO keeps the tank full, I change 2g, r&r the sock and empty the skimmer every week.

I just generally look it it all day and wait for a year or so too pass. By then it should be filling in.

:) :)

Mark

p.s. forgot that I do have some exciting news... I am in the early planning stages to clean and vinegar soak the mp-10's.

p.s. forgot that I do have some exciting news... I am in the early planning stages to clean and vinegar soak the mp-10's.

I've done that twice since I started the hobby a few years ago. Needs at least 6 months of planning to make sure everything turns out ok.

masterbuilder

Added this guy yesterday. I needed to refresh some of my CUC since I have murderous hermits, so it gave me an excuse to offset the shipping charges with something other than cheap snails.

I tried one a few years back and it never ate anything, slowly died. This one is supposed to be tank raised (what ever that really means) and easier to keep. Hopefully I will have better luck this time.

CourtJester2_zps2fvbghpj.jpg

Added this guy yesterday. I needed to refresh some of my CUC since I have murderous hermits, so it gave me an excuse to offset the shipping charges with something other than cheap snails.

I tried one a few years back and it never ate anything, slowly died. This one is supposed to be tank raised (what ever that really means) and easier to keep. Hopefully I will have better luck this time.

CourtJester2_zps2fvbghpj.jpg

I was able to keep one for a year. Fooled it by mixing food in with some sand in a cup. The sand sift and eat by accident. :)

• 3 weeks later...
masterbuilder

Well, the Jester didnt make it. My first casualty in a long time but I knew going in it was a roll of the dice. He never ate or showed any interest in the dozen foods I tried including live baby brine. The tank raised label he was advertised is suspect at best. Too bad, they sure are an interesting and beautiful fish.

• 2 months later...
masterbuilder

Update, my Elos Mini is no longer in operation. He is why and I am leaving out some of the story because I cant recall the details of each step.

I noticed that the sealant along the front pane was separating. Of course I was concerned, but it seemed that is was mainly just the filet and not between the panes. Worried, but not a panic. I notified Elos America via email. No response for a couple of days, so I called and they said that they had seen my email but don’t worry it didn’t seem structural. 3 days later I noticed salt creep along the outside of the tank along the front panel seam about 3 inches from the top. Now its time to panic. Wrapped the tank with duct tape to provide some support, started transferring my livestock to a Rubbermaid tub. After draining the tank and doing a close inspection I could see that most of the filet on the right side had lifted and a lesser amount on the left side was doing the same About a 2 – 3 inch section near the top for the right side was separated all the way through and seeping water. Notified Elos America nd they said , “no problem we will replace the tank right away “ and will be in touch. A few days go by and I inquire the status. Told no problem’s, call Aquarium Specialty and they will take care of you. I didn’t by if from Aquarium Specialty, I bought it from the NYC Elos Aquastudio. Called Scott at Aquarium Specialty and he was very helpful and said that Elos American had told him of my failure but didn’t know what he was supposed to do since he has no Elos Aquariums of any kind but would do whatever he could to try to understand what Elos wanted him to accomplish. I contact Elos America and they say, no problem and for me to call the NYC Studio and they will “take care of me”. I called NYC several times and they don’t answer the phone. Finally, I got them to answer the phone and NYC says they are moving and the warehouse is a mess but would try to send one out soon and send me tracking info. A week later I hear nothing, try calling and no answer, email 3 times no response and they still don’t answer the phone. Contact Elos America and they again say “no problem, we take care of you. A couple of days later I am told that it was shipped but the shipping company think they may have broken the tank and are returning it to NYC for inspection. NYC emails me and says when it gets to them they will inspect the tank and if all is we/l they will reship. Never heard back from NYC. Contact Elos America and hear “no problem, we take care of everything” and have one shipped from Italy. Days go by, I email Elos America and ask if it has shipped or do they know when it will ship. Its been 30 days so far. Several days later they say Italy will ship but will take 20 days and I will have to pay for the shipping. I ask if NYC was going to just ship the tank without any charge would it be possible for the Dallas Aquastudio to ship me one as they seem to have it in stock. They say, no problem, we take care of you and will contact Dallas. Days go by, I am now getting unhappy and let Elos America know its been a long time and no tank, no tracking and no indication one will be shipped. Their response is they are out of country and it hard to communicate.

Its 45 days now and no tank, no tracking and no indication one will ever be shipped. I email Elos America and say, I been told at least 8 -12 times that a tank will be shipped and nothing happens. The response is Elos America is just a middle man and can’t make any decisions and in their words and I quote (keep in mind their is a language learning curve) Pasted from my email: "... ELOS not good .. It why I work to go one here in the US with all my family , to try to change , all mistake ELOS do ...." WHAT the heck!

So my response to Elos America…after 45 days and a dozens promises that ELOS will honor their warranty it seems its just promises and nothing more. I cave and say thanks, I don’t want this to continue any longer and I will go elsewhere.

I may try to repair the tank myself (I have built tanks before) or I may take the easy way out and order a Red Sea Reefer.

Thanks for allowing me to post my rant. I have never bashed a company publicly before. Elos makes a beautiful aquarium. Sometimes you do get a product out the door that has a problem, I understand that, but thats when you step up and replace your defective product. So…If your considering an Elos Aquarium, be advised it’s an incredibly expensive work of art but if anything goes wrong..too bad.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully you have better luck with a replacement. I'm thankful you posted your experience though as I had considered them for my next build.

Wow, I am so sad that you have had to deal with all that and got no satisfaction. Its such a shame too because your tank looked great.

• 4 months later...

Im late to the party but what a bummer. I had notes to check in on this tank every so many months. I love it! Any plans for future? did the corals make it?

Archived