SaltCritters.com

EricB.'s BC29 Build

EricB.

I made quick work of modding the second chamber with a Dremmel tool so I could fit the media basket and skimmer in there:

2221C776-7ED7-4BAC-80C7-4BD7CD44CBF7.jpg

First impression of the skimmer is that it's kind of flimsy. I'm used to equipment for large tanks, and Tunze is a quality company, so I can only assume that that's pretty normal for nano gear. It's only been running for 20 minutes or so, but no micro bubbles yet. Fingers crossed!

I ordered the Tunze 9001 yesterday from StevieT for my biocube29 to replace the @#*$ Coralife skimmer I had bought with my original bio14. I could never get it to do more than a very wet skim. How do you like the Tunze so far? Any tips?

And totally agree on the neotherm - replaced the Aqueons in both my Bio29 and Fluval Spec 5 heaters which were swinging as much as 4 degrees. With the Neotherms I have less than 1 degree swings, even with the stock lighting in the Bio29.

I don't have a DSLR. I used to have one but I haven't seen it since my ex moved-out (hmmmmm). I have no intention on getting another one- most of my photography requires a GoPro anyways. I'm just going to have to figure out how to best use my iPhone

I ordered the Tunze 9001 yesterday from StevieT for my biocube29 to replace the @#*$ Coralife skimmer I had bought with my original bio14. I could never get it to do more than a very wet skim. How do you like the Tunze so far? Any tips?

And totally agree on the neotherm - replaced the Aqueons in both my Bio29 and Fluval Spec 5 heaters which were swinging as much as 4 degrees. With the Neotherms I have less than 1 degree swings, even with the stock lighting in the Bio29.

I really don't have much to say about the 9001. It was total plug and play. I had to adjust the thumb screw and prob still need to play with its height. It's a nice little skimmer so far

I figure I'm going to wait until late October / early November to do anything else with the tank. At that time I will make a decision on the digi and pink birdsnest and will place a frag order. I've been spending a lot of time watching this tank (something I didn't really do with the 200DD) and I reckon I have room for 10 more frags with growth into small colonies in mind. So, that's what I'm expecting to do: 10 frags, mostly red/pink with a blue or purple one. That should give me equal amounts of blue, red, and green.

In the meantime, I'm going to test the water before doing a water change in a few days to see how the Ca and Alk are doing. My last w/c was on 9/29, so I'm going to try and get this one in on the 13th. I might have to go to weekly water changes, maybe not. In any event, this tank is showing enough promise that I'm anticipating the need for a doser. I have 0 experience with dosing and all the research I've done with supplementing was very reactor-centric since that's what I was planning on using with the 200DD. Any information on dosing would be greatly appreciated.

I have been noticing the frags beginning to encrust for some time now, but in the last few days I'm seeing new branches appearing on a good number of frags.

Yesterday I gave away a small, unwanted colony to one of my buddies. It's the large(ish) green acro in the sandbed:

64BE68B4-4221-4A7A-B23A-6B1E01EE843F.jpg

It opened up some room for a future scoly or clam:

0B6E8B1D-2D8C-4B42-9415-83A890B0856B.jpg

In exchange he gave me a reverse superman monti, a grape cap (that wasn't doing too good in his tank) and a frag that I need help ID'ing:

0A69BAD0-F886-4A22-8DAD-AA6C852CD59B.jpg

F6F0781C-301E-47AC-808C-425965DFFDC6.jpg

6ED98A37-70AB-476C-B386-A8888A1A4310.jpg

I'm going to place a frag order and try to coordinate delivery for Tuesday since it's my next day off.

This morning I ordered 9 frags:

-orange digi (I'm giving-up on the one that's in the tank right now)

-setosa

-bright pink acro

-light purple acro

-4 different blue acro's

-green acro with blue tips

I think these will really balance the colors in the tank and the contrasts will make the whole scape pop

The 9 frags I ordered arrived and they included a freebie. I'm floating them now and will drip acclimate in a few hours. I have an appointment in an hour so I have to do a long float before I can get around to dripping. I have a ton of work to do today so I'll try and post pics later or tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. Both my fish died unexpectedly. I got them out before they actually died and it appeared to be bacterial in nature. I've been running fish-less for a few weeks now. I placed all of the new frags on the rocks and got rid of some older pieces that were as good as dead.

11DBDD5A-5DD0-4DFA-B4BF-50389296EB57.jpg

013C0D19-1D37-4A96-A1F5-174A1746F529.jpg

099A3FFE-E02B-47D2-84EB-3A46E48BCA3D.jpg

I'm heading out for a couple days (something that this tank allows me to do with much greater ease than the 200) to test some whitewater crossover kayaks since my GF and I want to hit some bigger water in the spring. I grabbed some top-down shots this morning while doing some tank work before I leave:

A6A74083-578F-4153-92A3-A3AFC57DB024.jpg

614A863F-98B7-4E64-B382-48B1587E9442.jpg

8D2A2991-C140-4E98-91F0-FFA92D1B16A6.jpg

EE36F2E6-4243-4B4B-AAE8-1ECCED2D2AE2.jpg

429443A6-8BCA-417B-A80D-95C87DB7246B.jpg

D57107E5-BA85-40B6-8D07-6643FE755D3D.jpg

EEE04F6A-9D11-4448-9760-7407D9E1D167.jpg

9F136D37-3D54-42A7-83A8-50EC8FB60890.jpg

Lots of frags in there, it will be cool to see what it looks like when everyone starts to grow in. Have you ever thought about putting your sps on new frag plugs before you put them in your tank? I hear that some people do this beacuse the frag plug can hold some nasty critters. I am thinking about doing this my second time around, with my new reef tank.

Nice! Those acros look great. Where did you order from?

Thanks! I got them from yourreef.com. It's the second time I've ordered from them; the first time I got a 20 piece SPS pack that went into (and subsequently succumbed to the problems of) my 200DD. I would order from them again but I'm pretty much fully stocked.

Lots of frags in there, it will be cool to see what it looks like when everyone starts to grow in. Have you ever thought about putting your sps on new frag plugs before you put them in your tank? I hear that some people do this beacuse the frag plug can hold some nasty critters. I am thinking about doing this my second time around, with my new reef tank.

I dip my frags but that's about it. I try to do the least amount of handling of them as possible and I've lost a good number of frags secondary to having problems with coral glue.

Archived