Top Shelf Aquatics

People with 20gl's or something close

oceanhighz

well, after my accident while I was away with my tank leaking I am finally ready for some fish. The cycle is through, and I have 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 sally light foot, and about 15 hermits in there with live rock and live sand. I have a 4 inch DSB with about 1/2 inch of live sand on top of that. What kind single fish or combinations or fish do you people like in this size tank? By the way this is the start of a mini-reef, I have star polyps and button polyps, so keep in mind the reef safe issue on the fish. TYIA

Brandon

p.s. I didn't lose anything in that leak, luckily my father saved everything that I listed about.

Well, in my 24G I have two perc clowns.

These are quite fun to watch and visitors always comment on thier cute looks. Plus they dont get too big. They may be common but they are nice.

I recommend these as a pair.

You might also get away with adding another type of fish as well as the clown pair. I myself was looking at possible fishes today and saw some really beautiful coloured Firefishes (I think thats whats they call them).

thanks sahin, this would be a good idea, and yes they are firefish. Now I just have to wait until my lfs gets a nice mated pair in.........hehe, and hopefully the price isn't outrageous.

Brandon

Guest samson

In my 20g I have a firefish, a banggai cardinal and a blue devil damsel. I recommend them all, although the damsel is very territorial, he pecked at the firefish for 3-4 days until he was certain the firefish knew his boundries.

the cardinal is a beautiful creature and the damsel has amazing color. The firefish is timid and I usually only see him at feeding time.

In my 10g I have two perc clowns and i love them. they're playful, curious and beautifully colored. always a hit with guests.

You don't need to get a mated pair of clowns. Just get one, let your tank get stable again, and then get a second one that is smaller than the first. The bigger one will become the female and they'll pair up. You might see a bit of posturing between them, but generally, any two clowns of different sizes can pair up.

well, I love the fish choices, except I think I'm done with damsels, I call them devil damsels now. Every damsel I ever had was the meanest fish, even when they were in a tank together. I had two 3 striped damsels, one of them tried to kill my then newly aquired coral beauty. Needless to say, I couldn't keep them, and I didn't want to put them in my ten gallon, even though there was no other fish. Now I still have those two tanks, and I'm starting a new mini-reef in another twenty, so I'll be looking at these fish you named, along with a few others: gobies, six-line wrasse, maybe another pygmy, I'm not sure what I want yet, just pondering ideas..........

thanks guys,

Brandon

i got two SEBAe clowns in my new 10g with an assortment of mushrooms, and they do play with eachother a whole bunch, except i think one of them is sad because the lfs took them away from their anemone.

Don't add another pygmy angel as they will fight in a tank this small. A prawn goby/pistol shrimp pair would be cool. Also, firefish, other darthfishes, cardinals, etc etc.

I was going to buy some pulsing xenia today, but I don't know what lighting requirements they need, guess I oughta do a search, unless someone just wants to tell me.

I have a Bangaii and true Percula in my 20. If I had to do it over, I'd get a sebae instead, and possibly a purple firefish instead of the cardinal. The two I have are a good combination, though.

I have:

1 false tank-raised percula clown

1 blue damselfish, who hangs with the clown

1 cleaner shrimp

assortment of snails & crabs

3 green-striped mushrooms

blue mushroom rock

small 3 headed frogspawn

bubble coral

2 feather dusters

small frag of a toadstool

Archived