ReefCleaners.org

Alain's IM NUVO Fusion 30L - PHASE 2 BEGINS ON PG3

Alain

Scolys are an investment no matter where you are in the world. A box of A grade Scolys will fetch $1200, Ultras $1500-$1700 and masters are $2000-$2500 depending on colour and size. About a month ago I got someone's box by mistake, I got 30 masters for next to nothing.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scolys are an investment no matter where you are in the world. A box of A grade Scolys will fetch $1200, Ultras $1500-$1700 and masters are $2000-$2500 depending on colour and size. About a month ago I got someone's box by mistake, I got 30 masters for next to nothing.

Wow.. How many do you get in a box!?!

Tank is looking good buddy!

Scolly's are not too badly priced around me, can pick up a bleeding apple from $30-$50 a piece, blues, reds and oranges ramp up the price pretty quickly though. Personally, I have always preferred trachys, I just find them nicer to look at, they remind me of elegance corals in a way.

Wow.. How many do you get in a box!?!

They come 30-40/box depending on size.

Scolly's are not too badly priced around me, can pick up a bleeding apple from $30-$50 a piece, blues, reds and oranges ramp up the price pretty quickly though. Personally, I have always preferred trachys, I just find them nicer to look at, they remind me of elegance corals in a way.

Bleeding apple Scolys are $120-$350 here depending on the colour.

Thanks mate! Still getting algae issues - I'll keep chipping away at the nutrients with water changes, etc.

They come 30-40/box depending on size.

Bleeding apple Scolys are $120-$350 here depending on the colour.

The one I got was AU$100, which I thought was quite reasonable for size and colour of it!

Thanks mate! Still getting algae issues - I'll keep chipping away at the nutrients with water changes, etc.

Have you tried doing a a 3 day blackout on the tank? Disable the lights for 3 whole days and after that you will be able to pull a lot of the GHA out by hand, will really help out. The corals will be fine and as long as the fish get some natural light they will still be able to feed.

Holy crap, just realised I just passed one year!!! Here's a FTS timeline for those new to my tank :)

FTS - 27 Aug 2015:

V1jnie5.jpg

FTS - 17 Sep 2015:

oAqecV9.jpg

FTS - 25 Oct 2015:

r1O1t0F.jpg

END OF PHASE 1 (NEGLECT) - FTS - 02 August 2016XwyvFFe.jpg?1

PHASE 2 BEGINS - FTS - 09 August 2016

L5d3JvA.jpg

FTS - 11 August 2016

QPhoH4t.jpg

FIRST BIRTHDAY FTS - 13 August 2016

VehGwjB.jpg

Have you tried doing a a 3 day blackout on the tank? Disable the lights for 3 whole days and after that you will be able to pull a lot of the GHA out by hand, will really help out. The corals will be fine and as long as the fish get some natural light they will still be able to feed.

I'm running bioballs in the rear sump area and am in the process of cleaning them bit by bit so as not to cause a crash. I also plan to siphon out the sump area and give that a good scrub on my next water change.

Cencalfishguy56

Feeding time! Scoly loves a pellet and sand sifter seems pretty happy with some cyclopeeze in the sand!

4qXtZNm.jpg

dude nice comeback! Stoked to see this get back in action!
pappadumplingz

Feeding time! Scoly loves a pellet and sand sifter seems pretty happy with some cyclopeeze in the sand!

Nice scoly! Must have cost big $$. Nice to see that the goby is doing well, but I've heard they waste away after they have polished off the sand, so I guess the cyclops should sustain it.

dude nice comeback! Stoked to see this get back in action!

Thanks man! I'm stoked too, I am loving having my living photo frame back! :)

Nice scoly! Must have cost big $$. Nice to see that the goby is doing well, but I've heard they waste away after they have polished off the sand, so I guess the cyclops should sustain it.

Scoly was pretty reasonably priced!

I heard the same, so I'm trying to train him to eat from the sand in a certain place where I'll pump brine shrimp or cyclopeeze into the sand.

Definitely looks like a gold head sleeper gobie to me (I missed him on the previous page!). As long as be eats mysis you should be fine :). If not, a trick is taking out some sand, thawing food and mixing it in with the sand before scattering it in the tank (with the pumps off). That way he will get a taste for the food when he is sifting the sand and may take to frozen foods better.

Definitely looks like a gold head sleeper gobie to me (I missed him on the previous page!). As long as be eats mysis you should be fine :). If not, a trick is taking out some sand, thawing food and mixing it in with the sand before scattering it in the tank (with the pumps off). That way he will get a taste for the food when he is sifting the sand and may take to frozen foods better.

I need to restock my frozen food supply! I will definitely try that method.

Is he still a gold head sleeper if he doesn't have yellow colouring?

I need to restock my frozen food supply! I will definitely try that method.

Is he still a gold head sleeper if he doesn't have yellow colouring?

Well, that line marking running under the eye is pretty distinct and synonymous with the gold head sleeper. The diamond watchman has similar marking but has spots running down the body (I can't see spots in your pics). I also thought it could be a jawfish but the head, eyes and fins are different. I have seen the gold head sleeper with minimal gold markings on the head and others with lots of gold on the head and neck. Can't really be 100% sure from the pics. What was it sold as?

Well, that line marking running under the eye is pretty distinct and synonymous with the gold head sleeper. The diamond watchman has similar marking but has spots running down the body (I can't see spots in your pics). I also thought it could be a jawfish but the head, eyes and fins are different. I have seen the gold head sleeper with minimal gold markings on the head and others with lots of gold on the head and neck. Can't really be 100% sure from the pics. What was it sold as?

Sold as a gold head but no gold head! Fins and body shape, and marking like you said, are all 100% gold head features though. The shop had a pair, of which mine is one, that both looked like this, so perhaps a different colour variant ?

be careful with gold heads. my research shows they like to bury corals with sand. they pick it up with your mouth and swim around while expelling the sand through their gills.

Yep, this has definitely happened but I stay on the case of turkey basting the acan and scoly whenever it gets a bit sandy.. On the whole, it's keeping to its corner in the tank which is nice!

Glad to see you're back at it.

1. I ditched the bioballs in my 30l in favor of media racks and fuge basket.

2. Take a deep breath step back and give the tank some time to settle, it seems like you're rushing a little bit.

3. I had a gold head, he would get sand on the highest pieces of corals that where a few inches from the surface under water and burried anything that was on the sand bed!

Glad to see you're back at it.

1. I ditched the bioballs in my 30l in favor of media racks and fuge basket.

2. Take a deep breath step back and give the tank some time to settle, it seems like you're rushing a little bit.

3. I had a gold head, he would get sand on the highest pieces of corals that where a few inches from the surface under water and burried anything that was on the sand bed!

What media were you running? Currently running (apart from the caramic bioballs) a bag of GFO and a bag of carbon and some filter floss.

What media were you running? Currently running (apart from the caramic bioballs) a bag of GFO and a bag of carbon and some filter floss.

I have a media rack in each overflow chamber with floss on top, purigen in the middle, and chemipure elite/blue on the bottom chamber.

Then mid sized ghost skimmer back right chamber, fuge basket with chaeto in back left chamber.

There are several different races of Golden Headed sleeper gobies, just depends on where they came from as to how much gold they have on their heads.

There are several different races of Golden Headed sleeper gobies, just depends on where they came from as to how much gold they have on their heads.

Had a really good stare at him the other day - very light yellow tinge on his head. Gold head sleeper confirmed!

Now, I'm looking at adding some dispar anthias to the tank - anyone with experience on these?

Now, I'm looking at adding some dispar anthias to the tank - anyone with experience on these?

If you do get Anthias, you need to feed them, not a lot, but often. Anthias can't deal with 1 or 2 large feedings a day, they need small feedings throughout the day. Get them on pellets ASAP and set up an auto feeder to drop in a few pellets at a time. Feed them mysis, brine shrimp and plankton where possible. I have a friend who has an 800 litre tank with a dozen different Anthias and that's the way he does them and they do quite well.

FTS - 23 Aug 2016

Rr1mn99.jpg

Everything is settling in nicely so far. Order of Anthias didn't come in yet, but gave me some time to make sure my PO4 levels were stabilising. So far no algal blooms, even the algae in the rear sump area has cleared. Bio balls have been cleaned out (in the hopes of building a good colony of beneficial bacteria for the soon-to-be-increased bioload) and nitrate and nitrite also stable. I think I'm ready!!

PS. Is there a way I can help my hammer not do this? Is it normal for it to have those feelers out? Does it have to do with the placement?

rWR2gnS.jpg

Good luck with the stars. Hope you can keep them going. Tank looks awesome so far.

My blue Linkia is still going strong! My little orange dude though... He mysteriously disappeared . I think eaten by the brittle star? Brittles had to go!

Archived