SaltCritters.com

Driftwood vs aquarium

amphipod

Don't boil driftwood, it will make it decompose much faster!

Can't find a english website. If you ship me a trigger sump i will ship you rockzolid stuff ;-)

I don't think having the driftwood in boiling water for a short period will effect it much, I know some people put driftwood in the oven to kill any parasites it may have. I can happily order a trigger sump for you and ship it to you location, but it may get expensive, since your basically paying for shipping twice. Have you try looking at other online retailer that can ship international.
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think having the driftwood in boiling water for a short period will effect it much, I know some people put driftwood in the oven to kill any parasites it may have. I can happily order a trigger sump for you and ship it to you location, but it may get expensive, since your basically paying for shipping twice. Have you try looking at other online retailer that can ship international.

Are there online retailers who will ship to Belgium? Problem is i have to pay almost double (taxes, shipping) but hey if you want something :-).

Boiling wood changes the piece of wood structure. It will probably decompose faster and will release it's tannines faster making your water more acidic and turning it brown. (In most cases)

Did you see the mangrove roots on the rockzolid website? Man i would love to make a shallow reef with it and add a group of kauderni's. It would be beautiful!

Somthing like this would be soooo sweet!

post-86885-0-04623900-1439836762_thumb.jpg

I know what you mean, for one of my recent builds I have had to import alot of stuff from Japan and the taxes are killing me, I end up pay almost double like you say. Have you checked marine depot, they may ship it for you.

This is my vision for driftwood in a marine tank.

freshwater-moss-tree_zpspdsuvfkx.jpg

Have the driftwood cover with gsp coral and having some really small goby swimming in it.

As to the boiling water he would only need to put the part with the mold in it, not the entire thing and for a short period

We'll I'm sure once it's logged and you brush wat u can of or do a fw rinse throw it in a tnk with normal sg water it will prolly vanish

I will be using Malaysian driftwood if I can it hard and never leached tannins like more reddish soft woods

You know where I got my wood for my fresh tank? The reptile section lol.

And no I don't have wood, I'm a woman lol.

I know what you mean, for one of my recent builds I have had to import alot of stuff from Japan and the taxes are killing me, I end up pay almost double like you say. Have you checked marine depot, they may ship it for you.

This is my vision for driftwood in a marine tank.

freshwater-moss-tree_zpspdsuvfkx.jpg

Have the driftwood cover with gsp coral and having some really small goby swimming in it.

As to the boiling water he would only need to put the part with the mold in it, not the entire thing and for a short period

i love this tank. When I know where I'm going to live I need more tanks.

after reading what happened to the guy who was hospitalized after boiling a rock with paly's/zoa's (whole family was hospitalized after breathing the fumes), I'd be hesitant to boil anything now.

Yea I read about that, but I don't think wood is going to have one of the strongest toxins in the world

I am going to be salting moldy to death, if he survives to the end he deserves to colonize the wood lol :lol:

amphipod we can't let the mold win if he want war we will give it to it.

You know where I got my wood for my fresh tank? The reptile section lol.And no I don't have wood, I'm a woman lol.i love this tank. When I know where I'm going to live I need more tanks.

Yea Hammerstone this aquarium is one of my favorite freshwater tank setup, it beauty is in its simple setup

Aw, ww1, trench and chemical warfare to the extreme, I would prefer to fight in the more deadly ww2 with more advanced weapon, then ww1, lying in a trench just waiting to be hit by deadly gas

Aw, ww1, trench and chemical warfare to the extreme, I would prefer to fight in the more deadly ww2 with more advanced weapon, then ww1, lying in a trench just waiting to be hit by deadly gas

OK, I'm going to date myself here; but remember the original Star Trek series where they used simulators to determine who died in war? The victims of these simulated attacks would have to report to be terminated (which avoided destruction to their cities).

Star trek is before my generation, both the original and the next generation, so I had to look it up Season 1 Episode 23

A Taste of Armageddon. It funny not so long ago I went to a weapon show, where they show the latest technology weapon wise and digital warfare is coming pretty soon. In like 2030 most of the air force will be guys in shipping containers flying remote airplanes.

Star trek is before my generation, both the original and the next generation, so I had to look it up Season 1 Episode 23

A Taste of Armageddon

Haha. Yep, that's the one. I must have caught that in reruns, as I was only a year old at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Monday if we are lucky, I haven't actually been on a desktop computer I can use since almost 2 weeks ago, I can only upload photos using the desktop.

I pretty much have left the driftwood soaking, I did do a test in the sink and he still is a floater .

Wow finally I can see the progress. It look like it been leaching quit heavily, but that progress

I think it's going to look like black coffee when it's all leeched out lol.

Archived