SaltCritters.com

Conch without a shell?

camustang

Ok, this is a weird one.  I have a Fighting Conch.  Neat little creature.  I rearranged my rocks a little about a week or so ago and I lost sight him.  Ok, I was a little bummed, but I survived...

Suddenly, I was JUST looking at the front of my tank, and I see the STRANGEST thing.  I see something coming up out of the sand and moving around...like a small worm.  I look closer, and I see the two eye-stalks of my conch, along with his "snout" feeling around for food.  That's all I see...the eye-stalks and the snout.  I can't tell if he's just burried himself in the sand (shell intact) or if he's shell-less.

I think that I MAY have trapped him under a big rock a week ago (in his shell) and that climbed out rather than starve (I feel bad)...

...ok...question:  I thought that conchs were attached to their shells...and grew them like snails did...how can he be alive without his shell?  Can I either find his shell for him (and untrap it) or give him another, and he'll climb in like hermit crabs do?  I haven't stuck my hand in the tank yet to look under the sand as I didn't want to traumatize him further...

...I tried to take a picture to post, but it is SO small in the tank that it wouldn't come out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Andrew

Snails cannot survive out of their shell. Unlike hermit crabs, they actually create their shells and the shells grow with the snail. I doubt it is out of its shell. It may however be some sort of nudibranch or other funky critter.

mine does that all the time. It looks like they don't have a shell but it's buried under the sand. I don't think they can live without a shell

Ok, well, it's about 1am here (and the tank light is off), and I just looked and it seems as if he's still in his shell after all...I'd never seen him bury himself completely like that and I was wondering...

Thanks for the posts...

Archived