SaltCritters.com

New BioCube 14 Reef...stalled?

ConnorKessler

ConnorKessler

Hey, just wanted to give the thread an update.

In the last few weeks I decided to finally start moving forward and try to get over the anxiety of adding more things.

I added my first fish, a firefish goby, as well as a 3 headed candy cane frag and a decent sized Frogspawn.

So far all the corals and the fish are all doing very, very well. The fish is eating his brine shrimp without any problems and the corals look open and very healthy. In fact, the candy cane had a hitchhiking zoa which is absolutely stunning. It has a bright neon orange center and as it radiates out it goes from bright to darker, emerald green. I can't wait for it to start multiplying.

The algae is still a little bit of a best but nowhere near as bad as it was a few weeks ago when I made this post. I'm staying diligent with my water changes and the algae, while still present, is staying relatively controlled.

Since adding my fish I have had my inevitable ammonia increase. I am hovering just below .25ppm on my little color chart.

This has obviously made me really nervous. I am very careful with my feeding as well as water changes. I just can't seem to keep it down to 0.

Any tips besides major water changes?

ConnorKessler

So, I just sat down to take a real close up look at all my corals to do a detailed check up aaaaaaannd.....

My Frogspawns skeleton is littered with Aiptasia. FML.

I don't have a lazer and I have never had to deal with a pest yet. I need help stat! I don't want these vermin to spread!

EDIT: I was actually planning on going to my LFS tomorrow to see if they have a Xenia frag or a possible Kenya tree so I may as well pick up some Aiptasia X.

My hammer had a few holes lower down in the skeleton that some aptasia were hiding in. They survived the Bayer and revive dips I did before I put them in the tank. I just took a picture of the skeleton while they where extended, pulled the frag out and put a drop of super glue over the little holes. Problem solved.

ConnorKessler

My hammer had a few holes lower down in the skeleton that some aptasia were hiding in. They survived the Bayer and revive dips I did before I put them in the tank. I just took a picture of the skeleton while they where extended, pulled the frag out and put a drop of super glue over the little holes. Problem solved.

I wound up picking up some Aiptasia X and the problem is solved now. It's quite awesome to watch those little buggers implode.

However, since dosing the pests, I think my Frogspawn has been acting a bit strange. The polyp heads seem to be more tightened up and less spread out and wavy. Tomorrow is my weekly water change so I'm hoping anything bothering the coral will be resolved with that.

Archived