Innovative Marine Aquariums

Is this a bad type of algae?

Sahin

OK, this stuff is primarily on one rock, but the stuff is growing slowly and there are a few strands in other rocks.

Is this a bad/nuisance type algae?

I havent come across this on the forums, so any help appreciated.

How should I get rid of it? Any good ideas?

Any ideas as to what type it is?

Thanks.

Heres a pic.

Hi sahin,

I believe that it may be a type of Bryopsis, I had similar in my last set up & it was quite hard to pull off the rocks & can get a bit rampant.

If it is Bryopsis I think there are critters people use to get rid of it - Nudibranchs, crabs maybe, anyway most posts I have seen are when people are trying to get rid of it.

HTH

See I thought bryopsis was feathery?

This stuff grows in single strands and then branches off in one direction etc, its not feathery but smooth.

Anyone can verify?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that bryopsis is kinda brushy at the tips, not smooth like yours. Personally I would just keep an eye on it and pluck it later if it gets out of control. After all, even caulerpa...the most sought after macroalgae...can be a niusance if it gets out of control.

Personally I've seen algae like this in my own reef. I left it alone and it dissappeared...probably a victim of a hermit or my yellow tang.

printerdown01

I think it looks cool... If it is near something that it can do damage too, I say pull it -better safe that sorry... But if it seems to be isolated, let it grow! I don't think you will have a major outbreak of the stuff... but I could be wrong...???

I decided to pull 70% of these out today. Now upon trying the remove the strands, I noticed they are very tough like seaweed and have a root structure.

Some strands were so strong that when I pulled at it, the rock almost moved! Others when pull off, came out with bits of rock/coralline algae! So definately this is some type of seaweed.

I couldnt imagine nuisance algae types to be this strong. The strands are also almost solid and dont wave about in the current.

So, to be safe, I pulled out most of it from the rock, and left some just in case its not anything bad. I'll keep a close check on its growth to establish whether its a pest in my tank or not.

Thanks for all the help.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure what it's called, but I can confirm that an Emerald Crab will eat it. And quickly. I had some in my tank, and my Emerald wiped it out in 2 days, and has prevented it from coming back.

I have a tiny patch in my 29g tank. Pulling with tweezers at the base is required every so often to keep it under control. It requires a strong anchor to grow so it tends to stay in localized patches. I don't believe that much eats it.

Archived