inTank Media Baskets

What's your favorite "show stopper" peaceful fish?

Hammerstone

TheKleinReef

I wouldn't call clownfish peaceful though.

I'd get rid of my clowns if my parents didn't have an emotional attachment to them.

Swalesi basslet gets my vote. Those fish are insanely awesome and no where near as expensive as true candy basslets. I'd stock a tank with just those fish.

Other favorites: leopard wrasse and the tanaka Pygmy wrasse.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Morgan hill just south of you and see designer clowns all the time at local petcos mislabeled. In fact I got two really cool misbar and naked clowns from petco for the price of regular occelaris clowns. They also have platinum, onyx, snowflake Etc but are labelled as such.

Hammerstone

I live in Morgan hill just south of you and see designer clowns all the time at local petcos mislabeled. In fact I got two really cool misbar and naked clowns from petco for the price of regular occelaris clowns. They also have platinum, onyx, snowflake Etc but are labelled as such.

I live in Live-no-more lol. For some reason the Petco here doesn't carry salt water fish. The Petsmart doesn't either. I go to Aquarium Concepts in Dublin. It's beautiful, and the staff is knowledgable and seem to care about their fish. Some staff specialize in salt, some specialize in fresh and they will tell you so. The guy asked me what aquarium size, what did I have stocked already and the pitfalls of introducing the baby clown to the adult and the time out in the net trick if she was beating him up badly and it worked. He also told me how flame Angels are sensitive. You should go there but it would be quite a drive.

Yeah it's a pretty good store. My Bay Area favorite is Neptune aquatics in San Jose. I highly recommend stopping by if you are ever in the area.

I am surprised no one mentioned a Mandarin yet. Common, but at the same time one of the most unique and colorful fish out there.

Also, can someone explain the difficulty with Leopard Wrasses? I made a purchase without specific research based on the LFS suggestion... I have a tiny but beautiful female leopard wrasse for my frag tank. I was there to buy a six line... he suggested this one... and I was unfamiliar that it needed special care. And I can't find a good source to tell me what care.

It's been in my frag tank healthy, swimming, and eating mysis and baby brine shrimp for two weeks... but it sounds like I should return him or put him in my display tank.

My leopard wrasse :)

19852849636_6c8f13d7df_b.jpg

Definitely my favorite fish in my tank and has quite the personality and an interesting swimming pattern

Another fish is a Green Spotted Mandarin. Here is a photo I took of my friends

18970297412_baf807d272_b.jpg

I am surprised no one mentioned a Mandarin yet. Common, but at the same time one of the most unique and colorful fish out there.

Also, can someone explain the difficulty with Leopard Wrasses? I made a purchase without specific research based on the LFS suggestion... I have a tiny but beautiful female leopard wrasse for my frag tank. I was there to buy a six line... he suggested this one... and I was unfamiliar that it needed special care. And I can't find a good source to tell me what care.

It's been in my frag tank healthy, swimming, and eating mysis and baby brine shrimp for two weeks... but it sounds like I should return him or put him in my display tank.

Leopards are notoriously bad shippers, often have internal parasite, and/or damaged mouths that prevent their eating. They are pod/ pest eaters and IMO will do best in an established tank for that reason as well as they are constantly hunting. They are often hard to get eating as well. If yours has made it a couple weeks already its probably ok since its eating. I wouldn't suggest them to anyone new or with a new tank tho..... but some people just get lucky too lol

Do best in a larger 50+g tank as well long term. They are busy fish that are fairly strong constant swimmers as well as big hunters ;) Big time jumpers as well, its not if it will jump its when so if you don't have a lid make one out of mesh ASAP!

Hammerstone

I would love to get a mandarin but this tank is too new. Yesterday I got my year old tank to the max Capacity, Four. That tank has a billion pods that no one eats. I totally thought mandarins!!! But I also thought, what if she/he eats them all up and I have nothing for it to eat. So I shied away from it for fear I would end up starving it to death. I hope my new flame angel might eat them. First day in both my new fish didn't eat yet. I put in some cyclop eze that my previous angel loved. I really couldn't tell if they were eating or not. But they definitely didn't eat the flakes this morning. Oh and my old Flame would also eat algae wafers meant for fresh water fish. She wouldn't eat the nori sheets. Maybe this one will.

I love my Peppermint Basslet. He looks a bit like the Swalesi Basslet that has been mentioned a few times, but is from the Caribbean. (Swalesi is Indo-Pac). He is a total gentleman, even though he is the biggest fish in my tank. He does spend some time in a cave (although not as much as my Gramma lives in his cave), but otherwise is out and about especially if he sees me and wants food.

basslet2_zpsb6grcsqv.jpg

Hawks can go after ornamental shrimp so they are probably not recommended if you have cleaners, peppermints, or coral banded shrimp in your display. They may also go after hermits and some snails.

I have had two long nose Hawks. Neither touched cuc. I have 3 shrimp with one I have now. I know they can eat shrimp and small fish but If feed well I don't think it's that likely.

I have had two long nose Hawks. Neither touched cuc. I have 3 shrimp with one I have now. I know they can eat shrimp and small fish but If feed well I don't think it's that likely.

This is why I said 'may'. I have heard great success storied with hawkfish, have also heard tragedies. I guess it is the same sort of story as dwarf Angel fish nipping corals, some do and others don't.

Nickbruh510

I do agree I love my purple tang a bunch. And I was juiced that I added him last so he has his own cave now

Hammerstone

I would love to get a mandarin but this tank is too new. Yesterday I got my year old tank to the max Capacity, Four. That tank has a billion pods that no one eats. I totally thought mandarins!!! But I also thought, what if she/he eats them all up and I have nothing for it to eat. So I shied away from it for fear I would end up starving it to death. I hope my new flame angel might eat them. First day in both my new fish didn't eat yet. I put in some cyclop eze that my previous angel loved. I really couldn't tell if they were eating or not. But they definitely didn't eat the flakes this morning. Oh and my old Flame would also eat algae wafers meant for fresh water fish. She wouldn't eat the nori sheets. Maybe this one will.

my flame angel isn't looking so good. Breathing hard and occasionally on its side. I know they can be hard to keep. Wish me luck, but I think once one lays down in its side it's a goner. ;-( the baby clown is doing great.

Thank you guys so much for participating in this thread. So many beauties I've never seen or heard of before!!!

Hammerstone

The Angel "Ash" died. Baby Clown "Baby" is doing good and is paired up with my big Clown "Bob" so I'll end this on a positive note.

What tank size? Cirrhilabrus are beautiful, tangs, genicanthus, and halichoeres are great for larger tanks. Clown fish are good for smaller tanks, along with small basslets.

These might not be considered Show stoppers ...but they look exotic to folks that don't see reef fish as much as we do.

AS far as peaceful ,I've never had issues with the following fish ...they look awesome as well.

Longspine Cardinal fish

lg-90101-cardinalfish.jpg

Chalk Basslet the only time I've had them be aggressive is when my flame hawk would mess with him.

lg-89514-chalk-bass.jpg

These might not be considered Show stoppers ...but they look exotic to folks that don't see reef fish as much as we do.

AS far as peaceful ,I've never had issues with the following fish ...they look awesome as well.

Longspine Cardinal fish

lg-90101-cardinalfish.jpg

Chalk Basslet the only time I've had them be aggressive is when my flame hawk would mess with him.

lg-89514-chalk-bass.jpg

How do you like your flame hawk? I have been considering getting one. Does it nip at coral or your clean up crew?

How do you like your flame hawk? I have been considering getting one. Does it nip at coral or your clean up crew?

I loved that flame hawk, had him over two years and he never once nipped on any corals. He would jump out the tank once in awhile because he was so aggressive during feeding, leaping out of the tank once too many times. Then my wife found him dried up :(

If you plan on adding one I would do it last , he got along well with all the fish I had in the tank ,just the new additions after him are the ones he would pick on .

I had a Flame Hawk.. By far my favorite fish I have ever owned!! He was so entertaining to watch cruise around my tank. He had such a big personality too. I never really saw any aggression from him. Only a little bit cause I had a B***H clownfish. Sadly he jumped into my overflow while i was out of town.. :( I highly recommend them

I loved that flame hawk, had him over two years and he never once nipped on any corals. He would jump out the tank once in awhile because he was so aggressive during feeding, leaping out of the tank once too many times. Then my wife found him dried up :(

If you plan on adding one I would do it last , he got along well with all the fish I had in the tank ,just the new additions after him are the ones he would pick on .

I had a Flame Hawk.. By far my favorite fish I have ever owned!! He was so entertaining to watch cruise around my tank. He had such a big personality too. I never really saw any aggression from him. Only a little bit cause I had a B***H clownfish. Sadly he jumped into my overflow while i was out of town.. :( I highly recommend them

Awesome! I love watching them at the LFS. I will add one after my six line. Thanks! I have a mesh top, so hopefully no jumping. I think it would be a great "show stopper." That red really pops.

Archived