Cultivated Reef

pH and Alkalinity?

reef.state.of.mind

reef.state.of.mind

I hate to start a new thread but have read a lot of others to help me find my answer but just need some input and suggestions.

New tank... she is 15 days old. I ordered my test kit and just received it 2 days ago. So i was unable to test pH, Ammonia, Alkalinity, Nitrates, Nitrites until 2 days ago.

Here are my results from 07/23/2015

Temp 79

Salinity 1.027

pH 7.6

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0.02

KH 17 dKh

Results from last night and today were both the same. Last night, after reading, I removed the plastic lid from the tank and ran my lights less hours during today... but the pH was still low.

Question: How do I increase my pH and bring my Alkalinity KH down?

She is a fairly new tank and i used Ocean Sea Water, Live Sand, and Live Rock. I thought the Live Rock would have some die off that would trigger the cycle but is there a chance that it has not cycled yet? 4 days after I had the tank going; i purchased a snail and a crab. They are both doing great and cleaning the rock and sand. I really thought one of them would die and surely that would kick start my cycle. But they are both doing great. So... question is ..... how would i know if my tank has cycled completely yet and how can i get the pH up and Alkalinity down?

Salinity is high .. It should not be more than 1.026. I run it at 1.025 with SPS.

Bring down salinity and retest.

Tank is not cycled at this point. So let the tank cycle first.

Good lord! Are you positive thats 17dkh!?! What are you adding to it to bring it up that high?

As mentioned Salinity is too high, The fact you have nitrites shows you are in your cycle, so when the Nitrates explode and go off the scale and the Nitrites dissapear you will need to do a large water change 50-70% I advise taking that time to ensure your salinity is in check and aim for 1.023 to offset the water that doesn't get changed. Also what test are you using for your alkalinity?

Stop testing pH for now. What saltwater are you using exactly? What test kit are you using for the dKH? What are you using to top off your tank?

Also, you have yet to really cycle IMO. Try an ammonia source and get the ammonia up to 2 ppm and see how long it takes to fall to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Then test for nitrate, do a water change, and you will be all set.

reef.state.of.mind

Salinity is high .. It should not be more than 1.026. I run it at 1.025 with SPS.

Bring down salinity and retest.

Tank is not cycled at this point. So let the tank cycle first.

ManGups.... Thank you. I will let it cycle.

Good lord! Are you positive thats 17dkh!?! What are you adding to it to bring it up that high?

As mentioned Salinity is too high, The fact you have nitrites shows you are in your cycle, so when the Nitrates explode and go off the scale and the Nitrites dissapear you will need to do a large water change 50-70% I advise taking that time to ensure your salinity is in check and aim for 1.023 to offset the water that doesn't get changed. Also what test are you using for your alkalinity?

Exodus, I am not adding anything to the tank. I am sure it was 17 but then again we are from Arkansas. LOL :) Last night I retested the alkalinity and it was 14dKh. That is still high but better. :) I took the plastic cover lid off the tank to allow more air flow. I am using the Red Sea test kit.

If he's using NSWi think the issue might be to calibrate the refractometer

12_egg_Omelette... I am using the Petco Sea Water that is all natural. Each box we have opened we have tested the Salinity. Both times it shows 1.027 We are using the ATC refractometer and calibrated it when we got it. I went aheadand recalibrated it 2 days ago just to make sure.

Stop testing pH for now. What saltwater are you using exactly? What test kit are you using for the dKH? What are you using to top off your tank?

Also, you have yet to really cycle IMO. Try an ammonia source and get the ammonia up to 2 ppm and see how long it takes to fall to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Then test for nitrate, do a water change, and you will be all set.

CJJon, thank you so much for the help. We are using the Petco Sea Water and using Red Sea test kit and topping off the tank with distilled water. I wondered if we had completely cycled yet.

Ok so I will feed the tank and let the tank completely cycle and do a big water change. Main goal is to get Salinity down and get this tank cycled. Thank you guys for all the help and advice.

12_egg_Omelette

Are you calibrating it with distiller water or calibrating it to a 35 standard. If you want to pay shipping I can send you some standard.

Get some 35ppt standard to calibrate with.

Also, test that Petco water before you use it and see where the alk is. I would not trust that Petco stuff. Besides, it is damn expensive. The most expensive alternative actually. Unless you have a 5 gallon pico.

Get yourself an RODI unit and mix your own, be the master of your water.

reef.state.of.mind

Get some 35ppt standard to calibrate with.

Also, test that Petco water before you use it and see where the alk is. I would not trust that Petco stuff. Besides, it is damn expensive. The most expensive alternative actually. Unless you have a 5 gallon pico.

Get yourself an RODI unit and mix your own, be the master of your water.

CJJon... i didn't even think about checking the petco water for alk. I will do that. Thanks!

Reef.State. - I'll get that fluid in the mail by Tuesday.

Mr. Omelette.... thank you!

Heck d even buy distiller water and a bag of instant ocean before I did the nsw route. At least you know what's going in it. I wouldn't worry too much about the alk after switching to io. But I'd definitely stop using the nsw. I wouldn't run the lid on it either. I ran mine for a while and even with a skimmer going my ph stayed at 7.7 and my alk hovered around 10.2. I've had my lid off for over a week and it is a rock solid 8.2 now and my alk has settled at 8.3. Get you PH up and I bet your alk will come down considerably. I'd still test that nsw's alk though if you plan on keeping using it. Dilute it with some distilled before adding it to the tank to get it down to 1.025-1.026.

Personally I'd get the salinity down, your ph up and switch to IO and you should be good as gold when it's done cycling.

Just a FYI your ph will drop at night some also so make sure you are testing at the same time so your readings aren't off.

12_egg_Omelette

I've used Nsw from both petco and top fin without any problems. Weird to hear someone trying to replicate the ocean say I wouldn't use NSW.

I've since changed to using Aqua vitro salt.

• 3 weeks later...
reef.state.of.mind

Here are our newest test results:

Salinity 1.023

Temp 78

pH 7.6

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 1

Ammonia 0

Alkalinity 14

Magnesium 1120

Calcium 300

I've used Nsw from both petco and top fin without any problems. Weird to hear someone trying to replicate the ocean say I wouldn't use NSW.

I've since changed to using Aqua vitro salt.

Sorry but I prefer to know exactly what's in my water, and I just don't trust them that it's "filtered". Also I'm not paying $15 for a little over 2 gallons of saltwater.

12_egg_Omelette

That's the nice thing in this hobby, everyone can do things different and have great success. People can do everything right and have horrible experience and some can fly by the seat of their pants and have tremendous success. I know people in both, what we can all agree on is providing the best environment for out inhabitants though.

Archived