Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kessil over 20x20x12

CrazyEyes

What's everyone's thoughts on this, I know kessil claims the a160w covers a 24x24 area, just trying to see if a single a160w will be enough light for a 20x20x12 SPS. If needed I'll get the 360 but I'd love to save the $160 and get the 160. So opinions, will a 160 be enough?

I think id rather run a single 360 than two 160s. I'd run a pair of primes over it but it'd be the same price. I really should just bite the bullet and have Dave build me a light.

michaelrzachmann

I love my kessil a160we over my 16 gallon cube. Have only ramped it up to 60% peak intensity and my acro is already look much better than under my old light

I love my kessil a160we over my 16 gallon cube. Have only ramped it up to 60% peak intensity and my acro is already look much better than under my old light

. What are dimensions of your cube?

I'm sure the lights are off for the light but when get a chance would you mind snapping a photo of it?

michaelrzachmann

I'm sure the lights are off for the light but when get a chance would you mind snapping a photo of it?

I havent had this light long but i really love it. I have the controller too so i ramp it up through the day intensity and spectrum from deep blue to maybe 14k/12k and then back down to a deep blue. This is it with an iphone pic so it obviously doesnt do it justice. The colors of the corals and the shimmer are pretty amazing. I have it probably about 8 inches over the water and still get some spillage of the sides

66502F5F-0A28-4089-91DF-0F7AA569DD4C_zps

I'm using a 160 over a 24x20 display and have no dark edges at about a foot above the water...I have sps only tank

I have a single 160 over a 23x12x14 tank that's mostly sps and it's doing a great job. I plan on adding another 160 later to minimize the shadowing, but I can easily keep it as is without a problem. Here's a pic from two months ago.

IMG_2118_zpsuh3vfyne.jpg

michaelrzachmann

I'm using a 160 over a 24x20 display and have no dark edges at about a foot above the water...I have sps only tank

I have a single 160 over a 23x12x14 tank that's mostly sps and it's doing a great job. I plan on adding another 160 later to minimize the shadowing, but I can easily keep it as is without a problem. Here's a pic from two months ago.

IMG_2118_zpsuh3vfyne.jpg

what max intensity you guys hit during the day? I slowly have ramped up from 50 to 70% and want to get to atleast 90 but dont want to fry anything

I'm currently at 85% intensity and 60% color. I run the light 12hrs a day with 3hrs ramp up and 3hrs ramp down. I also ramp the color from 0% to 60%, then back down to 0% following the same schedule as the intensity.

I'm not on a controller yet, but I have mine kick on at 40% at the moment... I'll probably work my way up as time goes on.

377D7D0B-1C88-48AF-93C2-C5203D359C9F_zps3E0AFC70-1266-43B2-A747-EF09017FEDDB_zpsthis is my 18x18x9 pick tank. Mostly sps with a 350 over it. Covers great and sps do well anywhere in the tank

697270B3-6847-4477-AF70-A308063ACC52_zps

Better pic of the kessil

michaelrzachmann

My NC 28G is 18x18x22 and my SPS are doing great under my A160we.

what is your lighting schedule and at what height?

reefernanoman

what is your lighting schedule and at what height?

Lights start ramping up at around 8am at 10% for about 90 minutes, then maximum intensity is set to 65% until about 4PM, then it ramps down from 65% to 0% from there in about 90 minutes also. My color is set to about 30% with a similar ramping profile. Light is set to about 6 inches from my water with the gooseneck and the 90 degree adapter, all controlled by Apex with the VDM module.

I learned my simple programming from this video by BRS, just in case someone has an Apex here:

Archived