ReefCleaners.org

Plumbing Advice

bevo5

I'm just getting the pieces together to plumb my new 200g. I've never done a sump system so I have some fairly basic questions.

First off - it's a herbie system with two 1.5in drains and 2 .75in returns (that's what the bulkheads reduce the larger holes down to at least).

My plan:

-Two Drains: One connected to a true union gate valve. Can someone give me an idea of what the best option is here is?

-They have to go to some flexible PVC to make the run to the socks. Best options here?

-For the returns: One pipe off pump (Jabeo 12000) that has a valve on it to limit back flow (although sump is large enough to handle it all, I figure this is a good idea anyway). Then it will split into two lines for return.

I guess I just want to know what the best equipment and options are for the PVC and valves. And then what you all suggest as far as primer/glue etc.

And finally - any additional tips or learning?

Thanks.

Thanks - is there a big difference between slip and thread? I'm assuming thread means I would need to connect another thread to the PVC - so two joints to worry about?

threaded is expecting whatever your connecting to, to be threaded as well. also will need plumbers tape if going threaded. I do most of my stuff slip and use glue, unless its an area i know i may want to adjust, than i will use threaded.

Nanofreak79

Yes threaded involves extra pieces, but also allows you to reuse plumbing later or make changes easier as well.

Thanks y'all. Man those valves get pricey. Good thing I only need one.

So my shopping list is:

10ft of schedule 40 pvc -1.5in

5ft of schedule 40 pvc - .75in

5ft of flexible pvc (anybody have a preference here?) - 1.5in

10ft of flexible pvc - .75in

1 giant true union valve - slip variety

1 heavy duty check valve for return - .75in

PVC elbows to connect PVC to flex PVC

PVC splitter for after check valve on return - .75in

Probably some sort of heavier end on the bottom of flex pvc to keep them in sock

PVC primer

PVC glue

Prayers.

Am I missing anything?

Archived