Top Shelf Aquatics

PHOTOS! Finally a tank update!

smeagol108

thanks! I really dig it too, and it leaves some good open areas and creates nice shadows. I just need to wait until the live rock seeds the dry rock enough that I can remove the live rock. Do you think a month is gonna be long enough for this to happen?

heres a not clear wet pic, not all the way filled yet, and no live rock or coral yet from about my halfway point in the project yesterday. I setup the scape just like in the pics above in the tank, and than like I said I filled it all in with my live rock as temporary way to eliminate a cycle on this guy.

The edge is already in the trash. lol. it had a huge crack in one corner and was gonna blow at any time. wasn't really safe to keep up and running.

Looking good and I like the scape! what'd you do with all the stuff that was in the edge?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good and I like the scape! what'd you do with all the stuff that was in the edge?

I literally just transferred everything as is for now. in a few weeks once th enew rock has been seeded enough, I will start removing the live rock piece by piece to get the scape how I had showed it in those photos and remount all the corals etc.. at that time.

I literally just transferred everything as is for now. in a few weeks once th enew rock has been seeded enough, I will start removing the live rock piece by piece to get the scape how I had showed it in those photos and remount all the corals etc.. at that time.

Oh I get it now! Cool.

Okay so the tank has been up and running for a few days and I am not happy with the amount of surface film/dust collecting on the surface. Currently I have an AC70 in place and modified it to try to surface skim using a pvc T and and elbow. It is skimming but I am still not that thrilled with the performance. Now I am thinking what to do next?

I only have a very small area but am considering a 2.5 gallon sump maybe with an eshopps nano overflow. Tank is 16 gallons. Are there any HOB filters out there that do a good job of surface skimming? Anyone have expeience with the pico surface skimmer attachment for the ac70?

If you only had 13x15x13 area to work with under the tank what would you do in my situation? Looking for more surface skimming, either through HOB filter, canister filter, or HOB overflow and sump options?

So in my process of trying to modify my ac70 to surface skim, i killed my prized pink streaked wrasse that took me four months to find to begin with. :furious: I didnt have anything cover the intake tube for about five minutes while tinkering and he swam up it and nailed the impeller. i was so upset...have already put my name on lists at a ton of places trying to get another one or a pair. anyone have one they dont want??? Meanwhile, i decided to order the ac70 surface skimmer from Pico. Hoping to getit soon. if it doesnt work out, i may have to do an hob overflow and small sump as i really want surface skimming. heres a current fts, tank is crowded, but in a few wqeeks will be removing the live rock once the dry has been seeded:

post-86922-0-23390700-1437402350_thumb.jpg

HarryPotter

Sorry about the wrasse, that stinks.

I did an insta-reef as well for the NanoCube--> RL-45 transfer with zero issues. I used all new water, new washed sand, and 1/2 old live rock and 1/2 new reefcleaners.

I had the livestock in a temporary bucket during the rescape and a few hours while the dust was settling, but did the transfer afterward.

Zero issues beyond a bit of diatoms on the sand- cleaned up a week later by the CUC.

Someone get miss Gena in here or point me to the thread. I am excited to see the new tank too!! (theres a picture of it empty in the first post of this thread), im just been so busy on weekends not sure when it wil get set up. I am hoping this sunday I can at least get it wet, but I don't want to start unless I know I have all day to devote to it.

BTW, reefcleaners dry rock is awesome!!!

Kinda late seeing this, sorry! But in my situation I used a lot of my old rock and a little new live rock that was already cycled at my LFS. I still had a cycle in my tank since I went through and still am going through new tank syndrome. But it wasn't a strong cycle at all. I never had to treat the tank for ammonia. I also used Dr. Tim's live bacteria which I think makes a huge difference.

At any rate, your title brought me in here :(. So very sorry about your PSW. That's my favorite fish of all. I hope you are able to locate a new one soon! When I bought mine there were two together and they seemed to get along. I probably broke up a great love affair. Two PSW would be pretty cool in a tank! It'd be fun to see how they interact.

Oh and looks like your transfer went really well! It looks great!!!!

The transfer did go very well. No cycle. Some diatoms on new dry rock, which was expected. Been feeding daily and testing daily it's been 8 days now and not once did I see ammonia or nitrite and nitrates are still staying stable at like 2. Very happy it went so smoothly. In a few weeks I will remove most if not all of original live rock. Hoping my nanobox duo comes this week!!! Anyone ever use a pick surface skimmer for aquaclear before? Ordered one of those as well.

So here's hoping for another pink streaked wrasse or two sometime soon. I refuse to put any other fish in the tank until I get one, as gobies are really shy, and I want the wrasse to be the ruler of the tank as he was before I put something else in. They are such shy timid fish but once acclimated and no one bothering them, they are out swimming and hunting all day long. My flaming prawn goby probably appreciates the psw being gone as there are more pods for him now. Lol.

I forgot you had teh flaming prawn goby! You have cool fish!

I'm not familiar with that surface skimmer. I'll have to check it out. For some reason (thank goodness) I don't have any issue with surface scum which I've had in the past with other tanks.

Oh...I just looked it up! I do remember reading about those! Looks like it has great reviews!

I forgot you had teh flaming prawn goby! You have cool fish!

I'm not familiar with that surface skimmer. I'll have to check it out. For some reason (thank goodness) I don't have any issue with surface scum which I've had in the past with other tanks.

Oh...I just looked it up! I do remember reading about those! Looks like it has great reviews!

The flaming prawn goby is still kicking ass. See him every other day or so prowling about. My two high fin gobies are still paired up with the candy cane pistol as well. Now that I got some more room than six gallons, I can't wait to add some more fish, but the pink streaked wrasse has to be first.

My apartment is dusty and I have two cats. We have heated concrete floors so there's just no where for dust to really collect like carpets so it's airborne often. Lol. Hoping this surface skimmer does the trick and I don't have to dump this tank. Trying to keep it simple. The diy skimmer worked okay, but dialing it in to not get any noise from air getting in it was a pain and its to sensitive to evap.

Nano boxes run very white just fyi

I am confused by the purpose of this comment. What are you trying to tell me? first you post a thread about wanting to get rid of your brand new nanobox, and now you are randomly posting - unsolicited in other peoples threads bashing the light. whats the deal?

I am getting four channel control, and I plan to only run white at 40 percent of the blues which is how I always run lights normally.

On another note, Live aquaria has pink streaked wrasse in stock as of yesterday, so I ordered one and its on its way!!!!

It's not bashing and unsolicited? It is a public thread? You said you were getting a nano box and I am warning you at 40%white the blues will be washed out very quick is all. The difference between bashing and imforming. I'm sick of people getting defensive over nanobox products. A product is a product and is subject to criticism like and other product discussed on this forum. That is simply all.

It's not bashing and unsolicited? It is a public thread? You said you were getting a nano box and I am warning you at 40%white the blues will be washed out very quick is all. The difference between bashing and imforming. I'm sick of people getting defensive over nanobox products. A product is a product and is subject to criticism like and other product discussed on this forum. That is simply all.

Just seems u have been on a rant about this since you have been unhappy with your own purchase. And you are the first person I am aware of that has been unhappy with the performance. I have never owned a nanobox product and an excited to own one having saved and upgraded my tank. I wasn't asking for anyone's opinion on the nanobox in this thread anytime recently, and the only time I did was to ask about the number of channels people preferred. Therefore I do believe it was somewhat unsolicited. I am sorry you were unhappy with the performance of the product, I myself like the idea of supporting an American made product that so many others are extremely happy with and is built with quality components. Thank you for your constructive criticism of the light. I will provide mine shortly once I receive my light that I am very excited to have.

Also not once did I say white at 40%, I said at 40% of whatever I have the blues at. Therefore they would only be at 40 percent of the blues were at 100 which I will not be doing on an 11 inch deep tank. And the white are only on for five hours max a day in my tanks, and blues for 10-12.

So just received my order from liveaquaria of my Pink Streaked wrasse. Also got a gold line goby. Everything arrived appearing perfectly healthy, has been acclimated and is in the tank. If anyone is looking for a PSW, liveaquaria still has some in stock.

So just received my order from liveaquaria of my Pink Streaked wrasse. Also got a gold line goby. Everything arrived appearing perfectly healthy, has been acclimated and is in the tank. If anyone is looking for a PSW, liveaquaria still has some in stock.

Is it a baby? I think teenyreef got his from LA and it was a tiny little thing :).

If it wasn't for the overnight shipping charge I would have jumped on this.

Get any pics yet?

Is it a baby? I think teenyreef got his from LA and it was a tiny little thing :).

Nope definitely not a baby. It's a good size. Prob a about 1 and a half inch. Definitely bigger than my last. Live aquaria had it as their medium size. Shipping wasn't too bad at 35 dollars and I got the goby too. First fish I have ordered online in over ten years. I will try grab some pics later today or tomorrow.

Last I checked they were still in stock

Nope definitely not a baby. It's a good size. Prob a about 1 and a half inch. Definitely bigger than my last. Live aquaria had it as their medium size. Shipping wasn't too bad at 35 dollars and I got the goby too. First fish I have ordered online in over ten years. I will try grab some pics later today or tomorrow.

Last I checked they were still in stock

If you're going to order a fish online...I say LA is the place to buy from! Can't wait to see photos :).

Everything is doing good. I got this serpent star from reef cleaners today (a buddy placed and order and had been holding for me). Not sure if I trust these guys yet. Lol. So creepy. I had a big one years ago (like 12) and it definitely was a fish killer, so I am hoping this isn't. I don't even remember what kind my old one was. I just remember seeing it prop its central disc up two or three inches in the air so things could swim underneath it, and than it would pounce and kill them. Caught him killing a fish that way one time, and in that position many times. Anyone know if the ones from reefcleaners will do this? I hope not.

Also got a pico ac70 surface skimmer. This thing rocks and I highly recommend it to anyone using aquaclear filters. Surface was clean within a few hours of installing it.

• 10 months later...
smeagol108

Wow, I just realized its been like almost a year since I updated my thread. So the tank is about 18 months old currently if you include the 5 months it lived in a fluval edge before it was all transferred. Honestly, things are really stable and going very well. I couldn't be happier with how the tank looks, and if I could only get some good photos I may be able to get tank of the month here sometime soon. I updated post 1 on this page with my tank info, and some photos below for your viewing pleasure!!!

Believe it or not, this is not a torch coral. this is a grape cristata with the most insanse extension I have seen. Took months of slowly getting more and more adjusted but it eventually over time got the the point where it is open like this every day.

IMG_3381_zps3sthysab.jpg

Blastos, chalice and corner of rhodactis in right front.

IMG_3382_zpsnvj4pkex.jpg

Some SPS, Slimer, Unknown coral, and a red planet in the back left, dead through the center the little hook frag is a piece of katropora.

IMG_3383_zpsgzr8itxl.jpg

Not sure if this monti is a mystic sunset or a reverse superman. some stylo sneaking in the left, and another acro or two in the back

IMG_3385_zps3gjgtyoe.jpg

ZOOS! Some tubs blues, candy apple reds, sunny ds and who knows. Hey mandarin! and clown!

IMG_3386_zpsrikyac0u.jpg

my derasa, some acans, and one of my plates.

IMG_3387_zps2l6e0rz9.jpg

Acro and ZOa garden with a little pink setosa thrown in there and orange mushies. Rastas, devils armor, and a lot of unknowns.

IMG_3388_zpshcivyfyx.jpg

IMG_3389_zpscyeo2dcg.jpg

An our new puppy:

Meet Isla (cattle dog/heeler mix:

IMG_3411_zpsl6qakjf1.jpg

Anyone know how to get google photos to embed here and not make me use a link? I ended up signing up for photobucket, but was trying to figure out how to get it to work with google photos.

smeagol108

Beautiful tank!!! What is that magenta thing on photo number 2?

Cute puppy!!

So im colorblind so you say magenta I say you talking about the blastomussa that is dead center on the pic? If not, you must be talking about the left which is a rainbow or watermelon chalice (not sure which).

and nanoreef peoples, I have been MIA the last few months due to busy life, but my fiancé and I also got engaged while we were on vacation in February. so between that, a new dog, and wedding planning, lifes been pretty busy.

Archived