ReefCleaners.org

PDR

• 4 weeks later...

I need help with some Nitrate issues in my tank. I currently do weekly 30% water changes and change the filter floss 2x week, but my nitrates are between 10-20 (maybe higher, I'm using the api test kit, so its hard to tell). There doesn't seem to be any adverse effects on any of the livestock, but it has slowly been creeping up over the last few months and I want to get it in check. I also run a decent amount of purigen in this tank and just changed it last week.

Now before you say its just overstocked/overfeeding, I currently have a 10 gallon with 2 clowns, YWG, purple firefish, rainford goby, and adult cleaner shrimp (5 fish in a 10..I know I know...). I do not run purigen and I do similar or less maintenance than on my IM 20, and my nitrates are always 0-1.

This is my first and only AIO tank and I was wondering if maybe it was coming from some buildup in the rear chambers. Is that likely? If so, what is the best way to clean them out? Also nothing has died that I know of (snails, hermits, etc).

Thanks!

Nitrates will go down once the tank matures. Mine were sky rocket for a very long time but once the tank matured I was over stocked and had 0 nitrates!

I've had similar experience. Nitrates are high but everything else looks great. I only spot feed 2-3x a week, and I also do 4-5gal weekly water change.

I do recommend siphoning out the rear chambers, especially under the first chambers on both sides, as you can get some build up.

I used mb7 since i started my fusion 20. Never detect nitrate on api test kit. I know api kits are junks. Currently 2 clowns and a firefish with 4-5 snails and 7-8 hermits. I think the way you cycle the tank is pretty dangerous. Even cycling with fish it is better to go with one fish and add some more later. I dont even have other test kits except from my api nitrate.

Archived