ReefCleaners.org

MiniBow 5 Retro Lighting

samwoo2go

Hi this is my first time posting here.

Im thinking about geting a MiniBow 5, and was wondering if there is anyway I can fit a CSL 2X32w PC in the stock hood? Thanks

i'm not 100% sure if it will fit in the stock hood since i'm not familiar with the dimensions of the minibow5, BUT the measurements for the 32w CSL Retrofits are as follows: 14" x 3" x 2.2"

if it doesn't fit in the stock hood, you can always put it in a custom canopy.

Screw in bulbs would be the way to go if you want to use the stock hood. You can acyually get two under that hood. Do a search. On hood modifications on the 5g mb

I have been using the coral life 20w X 2 on a 6 gal with good outcome. What made it even better was a PC reflector behind the lights.

I have a mini bow 5. If you look under the hood at the light fixture you can take the cover off of it to expose the fixture. You can then see that it is actually a double ended fixture. I have 2 19watt 6500K bulbs in mine. You will have to grind/cut out the dividers in the hood, but this was an easy mod. I doubt the CSL will fit because the tank only measures 14" wide from the outside, side to side. If you mod the hood to accept 2 bulbs you could go with 2 20watt 50/50 bulbs no problem I would think.

I am currently making a bow front canopy to accept 2 19watters and a 13watt actinic. I am also going to install moonlights in this hood.

When I get back to my desk I will post a pic of my tank cycling showing the two bulbs on the tank.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Lakedawgs

So what your saying is that if I center the double ended fixture there is enough room to fit 2 Coralife 20W 50/50 bulbs?

And will 40W of PC light melt the plastic hood?

Also any metal reflector or any reflector ideas? (im aware of painting the inside white) is it hard to bend a piece of aluminum? will any place do it according to your demansions?

How about fans, any neat DIY fan install idea?

Thanks alot

The bulbs and fixture of mine is 15.75 in. The 10W bulbs are much shorter and that is how I started my tank. Any way go to Lowes and purchase a standard twin light fixture inthe lighting repair dept for around $4.00 remove all steel and seal holes and cracks. Use wire ties to mount. My tank has a brace in the middle so i used it to mount to. With my hood on i leave it elevated around 1/4 inch in front to get air to bulb and heat rises out of the hood in the back. Use a old lamp cord and water proof wire nuts. Make sure you tape the wire nuts well and then run the cord out to make sure it never drops into the tank. With a good seal job and wrap job on the cord it should be good and water tight. See attached Pic.

If your bulbs and fixture is 15.75" wide, wouldn't it not fit the MB 5's 14" width? Does your hood not close? Instead of getting another twin fixture, why can't I use the one that came with the minibow, is the Lowes one shorter or better? can you post a pic of just the hood with the lights off if possible? thanks

Archived