Pod Your Reef

How tight do you tighten a bulkhead fitting?

lizbeth

Yeah I know till it doesn't leak. :*(

I need something a little more clear than that. Is there a secret to it? So the sucker won't leak? Tell me, tell me, tell me!

ive done plenty o' bulkheads in my day and i have learned that you cant tighten them too tight. well it is plastic so if your ripping threads off it would be too tight. but seriously as tight as you can do it is fine. i usually put all my weight on it with a 15 inch wrench and that is good.

whoa! maybe not that tight sloreefer, these be nanos we're talking about. for the 55g+ tanks that approach is ok being the glass is so thick or even tempered in some tanks.

<10g tanks' walls may crack when applying that much torque & pressure. i'd go hand-tight and then fill the tank (w/ a cap at the end of the bulk head piping) to check for leaks overnite.

from what i heard and what i did on my own 10 gallon, just tight it as tight with your hands..and LIZ..ask your hubby to tighten it if you think you are too weak! hahahhahaha...but that should be enough..NO TOOL S NEEDED

Thanks guys!

Anthony, if I ask hubby to do it he'll probably bust the tank and then I'd have to kill him 'cause this is my custom made refuge.

well i guess the only ones i have done have been on huge acrylic tanks and huge sumps and that sort of hting. im sorry for the comment without considering size of the system. i should have thought about it more. most of the tanks i have done this on have been 2 inch bulkheads on about 3/8 or 1/2 inch plexi. sorry again

Archived