inTank Media Baskets

aviator300

aviator300

Does anyone lay some kind of screen or sponge or floss on top of the fan opening to filter any dust or other airborne particulates to prevent them from building up near the fan motor?

I know that in AZ, there is always dust in the air and any horizontal surface gets covered in dust. The top of my Tide always has dust on it and I've been concerned that it would build up around the fan motor and cause problems so I thought about putting some type of filter material over the fan hole and change it regularly.

What say you Dave, is this advisable or not?

Careful it's not to thick/dense and reduces airflow and prevents the fan providing the cooling needed. Also most fan motors are under the hub the blades are mounted too so while dust settles on to the fan, it doesn't tend to get up into the motor.

I occasionally wipe my DIY array fans down, I have them un-shrouded so they are easily accessed. You could always carefully disassemble the unit to wipe the dust off the top surfaces in the unit and then blow out the mesh grill with out forcing dust into the unit it's self. Don't know if Dave advises against stripping his units at home though.

Nanofreak79

I clean them just like I would my household fans. When they start looking a little gross, take em apart and clean.

Isn't it amazing what sticks to a fan lol.

Bits of spider, dust, cobwebs, more dust............... They start looking pretty terrible real quick.

You could argue lots of crap will reduce the fan efficiency too as air flow is disrupted so it's we worth a clean once in a while.

its just something you got to clean. I have had a Radion, Kessil, AI they all build up dust. I would not add anything to prevent the dust. Doing so would restrict airflow. I hit mine with the vacuum cleaner once a week. I also do the same for my computers, amp and TV. Dust happens.

aviator300

Leave it be but do clean it. I like to blow compressed air in the fan and vents ~ once a month.

-Dave

Good ole can of compressed air. Great idea....Thanks everyone.

WhiteWulfe

Good ole can of compressed air. Great idea....Thanks everyone.

Or if you use it often, go with a DataVac instead as they're equivalent to the cost of a few cans of compressed air. Can get rather noisy, but man do they clear dust.

Archived