damaba

Tank stats

Temperature: 78°

Salinity: 1.024

Ammonia: 0 PPM

Nitrite: 0 PPM

Nitrate: 10-20 PPM range

D4D135BE-CDB7-45CB-B7B6-75F93DDC10B1_zps

Tank is starting to have small amounts of red cyano algae. I'm reducing my feeding to every other day and shortening the light cycle to 7 hours instead of 10. Also I woke this morning to small white bugs on the glass. Very reminiscent of sea monkeys. I'm thinking they are copepods. Are they a good sign?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obsessed Reefer

Copepods are a very very good sign. They are beneficial to the tank as they will feed off of detritus and are a food for many fish.

I absolutely love the frosted back to the tank, if I ever did a tank like this, I would add that too. I like how when the tank lights are off, it helps block light from the lamp you have behind it.

For the cyanobacteria, you can also adjust and increase the flow towards the areas affected by it.

Did another weekly 10% water change and ran carbon and floss for 24 hours.

Tank stats
Ammonia: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 10 PPM

5BE3C0CB-EFA0-4E6E-B390-12E46A9E06E3_zps

The snails have really kept up with the cyanobacteira and diatoms, I'm impressed! Also theres lots of small copepods floating around in the water column and running around on the rocks.

6CB92B11-ACBC-442E-9C01-56D3D130A69D_zps

Won some Codium on eBay. My first macro! Hopefully that eats up some of the nitrates. My tank is also going though what I believe to be a bacterial bloom as the water is white and murky. It's interesting seeing the tank run though some of these different stages of cycling, I feel that the tank is trying to find a balance and I'm learning a lot about the biological processes happing.

codium_zpshglrqrup.jpg

The Codium didn't survive the shipping process :(

On a positive note star wars the force awakens was amazing!!! :)

That's too bad about the Codium, it's usually pretty tough. It's one of my favorite Macros as well.

I haven't used them myself, but several experienced friends speak well of this place for obtaining Macroalgaes: http://live-plants.com/

Thanks Weetabix7, I plan on ordering some from them.

I have some new additions to the tank.

Sicce Space EKO+ 100 to run Gfo and Carbon 24/7 and polish water with floss 1 day a month

​Bulk reef supply Carbon 8.0

Bulk Reef suply GFO

Glass inlet pipe with surface skimmer

Glass lily pipe out flow

​Hydor inline heater ( making my own diy inline heater update to come) The hydro has a very audible clicking noise on an off every 30 secs.

​API Reef master test kit (began testing last night and realized that it is missing bottle #2 for phosphates :( )

I hope these will be the final additions to equipment to help sustain the tank.

73BC34A0-E311-4CC3-9BD6-9FC910899E35_zps

Did another weekly 10% water change and ran carbon and floss for 24 hours.

I think a snail has died and I'm starting to see some green algae and some dark red maroonish algae.

Tank stats

Ph: 8

Ammonia: .25 PPM

Nitrate: 20 PPM

Yep turns out 2 snails died.

I decided to re Aquascape. I wanted to create a more dramatic structure to allow play with scale and juxstapose that with the size of the corals and algae.

BB21D379-C3FA-4F6B-8EEA-4C2393D1C7A6_zps

All the moving around of the rocks and stiring of the sand bed turned up a lot of detritus. I let most of it collect in the canister filter, then rinsed the sponges, then added 1 gallon of fresh rodi saltwater to the canister. Next week I'll replace the carbon and do a larger water change.

86D65B31-8B94-4155-AF32-154BE8ADC502_zps
Tank stats
Ammonia: .25 PPM
Nitrate: 10 PPM

I decided to clean out the filter and add new floss. Just bought some polyester batting from Joan fabrics. The ammonia looks like it has stabllized but still struggling with nitrates. In cleaning out the canister filter I changed a gallon of water.

Tank stats

Ammonia: 0PPM

Nitrate: 20 PPM

BC48B86F-316D-4BAF-821B-C63B538ACA5E_zps

for the last 3 day I have begun to carbon dose. Just a small about to see if I can make a dent it my nitrates about 1/16th of a teaspoon a day.

3AFF257C-5DC1-4C4F-8970-BE204567747A_zps

35E6EB62-E8BC-4BDF-B9DA-050EB71D0FC5_zps

So far I think I'm seeing an improvement. I understand that my tank is still young but i'm trying to get a hold on these nitrates. Also I have 2 new tank inhabitants. 2 tiny blue legend hermit crabs Names Fin and Ray :)

Tank stats

Ph: 7.8
Ammonia: 0PPM
Nitrate: 10-20 PPM

What lily pipe set did you pick up? I've been contemplating running my Eheim 2213 with pipes like those or an AC110 with skimmer box.

I really love your rock work. It is dramatic. Reminds me of a planted freshwater scape I saw, it was awsome. Cant wait to see how corals would play into this

What lily pipe set did you pick up? I've been contemplating running my Eheim 2213 with pipes like those or an AC110 with skimmer box.

These are the 13 mm glass out flow lilly pipe and glass intake skimmer 13mm VIV brand and both bought off eBay. They take 1/2 inch inner diameter tubing. I'm very happy with both of them. I think they will require a monthly cleaning once the tank is established.

These are the 13 mm glass out flow lilly pipe and glass intake skimmer 13mm VIV brand and both bought off eBay. They take 1/2 inch inner diameter tubing. I'm very happy with both of them. I think they will require a monthly cleaning once the tank is established.

Got a link? A quick search seems to yield quite a few different ones.

Archived