Innovative Marine Aquariums

How to Successfully "Frag" Open Brain Coral

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Hi everyone! So I have an Open Brain coral that is getting BIG- and with space an ever so valuable asset, I was hoping to frag a mouth or two off to help refill the wallet.

The tank is only 45 gallons, and the thing is getting BIG. Four mouths!

Is it possible to frag this? I have read that using a progressively tighter rubber band to separate the mouths works great, as it slowly (Without tearing) splits the coral without stressing it.

Then, once the flesh is separate, you can Dremel the hard bottom and have two, unscathed, brain corals.

Does this seem logical to you? Any experience with it? Thanks in advance!

As of now I am planning to start with a semi-taut rubber bank right down the center. My thinking is that each side will have two healthy heads.

Then, in a week or so I will replace the rubber band with a tighter one, repeating this until the flesh is in two distinct areas.

After that, I would remove the rubber band and dremel (Diamond cutter) the base in two, without harming the flesh whatsoever.

Is this possible? Has anyone successfully utilized this method?

I am relativly confident in this, as the flesh will never be torn. If I go through with this I will make sure to document the procedure with plenty of pictures.

IMG_1115_zpsuci2vvyv.jpg

Online, one person stated to "cut the skeleton nearly through as close to the flesh as possible without actually ripping flesh, and let the flesh seperate on its own"

That is the opposite of my proposed idea, but a similar concept. Leave the flesh alone, and cut the skeleton

HarryPotter

Hey I found an old link here on Nano-Reef with pictures to document the same process!

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/267057-how-to-frag-a-trachyphylliabrain-coral/

That coral is not very big at all. Why bother fragging it?

It is actually close to 7 inches long when feeding :)

I am considering fragging it because I do not love it taking up more of the Sand Bed (I prefer an open bed) and to possibly make some $ to put towards The Vehicle

Archived