Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Opinions on Lighting (AI or NanoBox)

RollaJase

Wow, I didn't realize that the AUD was at that low of a conversion right now? Dang man.

$1USD buys about $1.30AUD. A Quad shipped to Aus with the moon light upgrade is about $760USD, just a tad under $1000AUD, more than that if transacted through PayPal, could probably add an additional 2% or so to the conversion. It isn't ideal but our dollar was stronger than the USD for a number of years, if only these lights had been around then lol.

jedimasterben

Thanks for chiming in Ben (I hoped you would). Personally, based on your pic I don't mind the shadow, it is noticeable towards the edge of the tank though. I really dig the look of shadows under outcrops, gives it a more natural look IMO. I can see now a single array over the center of the tank could struggle. So, in your opinion, it I wanted to buy a single off the shelf fixture (or two smaller off the shelf fixtures) what would be your choice for a tank of my dimensions?

I really, really hate most off the shelf LED arrays. They all use low-CRI cool white chips and usually have greens and reds thrown in so they can call it 'full spectrum' lol.

Can you get the Maxspect R420R over there for a decent price? The new '15K' models will be less purplish due to a slightly different LED ratio and I think they will come with the wide reflectors by default. Two of the 120w models placed parallel to the sides of the tank should cover it well.

I'm not saying you won't get good growth sticking with AI, but you will still need two fixtures for good coverage and if you like a lot of SPS then any reds/blues might not have the most bangin' color they can. :)

I am sorry if I completely read your email wrong. I could have sworn you said 24" cubish.

For the 30x24" size you really need the quad. With people saying try three primes, remember this. The QUAD has four arrays which is like using any extra light. As well no optics to give a perfect spread and blend. As well includes the mount already. So after you picking up three primes, three mounts you will actually come out CHEAPER with the QUAD. :)

-Dave

This is very true. you are looking at $90 of mounts for the primes. With your budget I am sure you will decide a great light!

I really, really hate most off the shelf LED arrays. They all use low-CRI cool white chips and usually have greens and reds thrown in so they can call it 'full spectrum' lol.

Can you get the Maxspect R420R over there for a decent price? The new '15K' models will be less purplish due to a slightly different LED ratio and I think they will come with the wide reflectors by default. Two of the 120w models placed parallel to the sides of the tank should cover it well.

I'm not saying you won't get good growth sticking with AI, but you will still need two fixtures for good coverage and if you like a lot of SPS then any reds/blues might not have the most bangin' color they can. :)

Thanks again for your input Ben. I get what your saying RE the chips used and if anyone knows what they are talking about it is definitely you and Dave. The Razor isn't a bad price, 120W 16K fixtures are about $550 a fixture. The newer 15k fixtures I can only find as pre-order in the 180W and 300W models, 180W is $700 on pre-order. I have seen the 16k in action and your right, really purple, I have also noticed that no two fixtures look the same in terms of colour output. My LFS had two of them over a tank, serial numbers 2 digits apart, each looked completely different. I'll definitely take a closer look at them. What would your opinion be on a pair of Hydra 26's, mounted side by side over the tank? Orientated so the arrays running from front to back as opposed to side by side.

This is very true. you are looking at $90 of mounts for the primes. With your budget I am sure you will decide a great light!

Still considering all options. Thanks for chiming in :)

Just save up a few weeks. Do the following...

1. Less Beer
  2. Less eating out
  3. Quit buying corals for a week ;)

-Dave

jedimasterben

Thanks again for your input Ben. I get what your saying RE the chips used and if anyone knows what they are talking about it is definitely you and Dave. The Razor isn't a bad price, 120W 16K fixtures are about $550 a fixture. The newer 15k fixtures I can only find as pre-order in the 180W and 300W models, 180W is $700 on pre-order. I have seen the 16k in action and your right, really purple, I have also noticed that no two fixtures look the same in terms of colour output. My LFS had two of them over a tank, serial numbers 2 digits apart, each looked completely different. I'll definitely take a closer look at them. What would your opinion be on a pair of Hydra 26's, mounted side by side over the tank? Orientated so the arrays running from front to back as opposed to side by side.

Still considering all options. Thanks for chiming in :)

Weird, wonder what the holdup with distributing the new revision of the R420R there is, they've been available for a couple of months everywhere else. The 180w is $510 here, the 130w is $430, so with the prices for the bigger ones, the 130w would be ~600 there. Still a bit much since you need two!! The two that look completely different are probably the 16K and 10K versions.

The Hydras would be ok, but their arrays are only a few inches apart so they won't have the best spread over the 24" length, even parallel to the sides. Better than just side by side though.

Just save up a few weeks. Do the following...

1. Less Beer
  2. Less eating out
  3. Quit buying corals for a week ;)

-Dave

Need to add a 4th point...

4. Stop spoiling girlfriend...

Still deciding on things Dave, may change the dimensions of the tank so don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

Weird, wonder what the holdup with distributing the new revision of the R420R there is, they've been available for a couple of months everywhere else. The 180w is $510 here, the 130w is $430, so with the prices for the bigger ones, the 130w would be ~600 there. Still a bit much since you need two!! The two that look completely different are probably the 16K and 10K versions.

The Hydras would be ok, but their arrays are only a few inches apart so they won't have the best spread over the 24" length, even parallel to the sides. Better than just side by side though.

Yeah not sure on the delay with the 15k models, the revision isn't even listed on the Maxspect Australia website yet. Looks like I'm still searching for a perfect solution for my dimensions.

jedimasterben

Yeah not sure on the delay with the 15k models, the revision isn't even listed on the Maxspect Australia website yet. Looks like I'm still searching for a perfect solution for my dimensions.

You could do like me and build your own :P

Of course, it's super addictive. I'm already in talks for a second revision of my sunpower lol

Nanobox%252520Retro%252520V2.png

You could do like me and build your own :P

Of course, it's super addictive. I'm already in talks for a second revision of my sunpower lol

Nanobox%2520Retro%2520V2.png

Well...I was going to shoot you a PM about potentially building my own fixture. I definitely have the fabrication and electrical skills, just need a little know how haha.
jedimasterben

Well...I was going to shoot you a PM about potentially building my own fixture. I definitely have the fabrication and electrical skills, just need a little know how haha.

It's actually really simple. For the electronics, it's one in and one out per LED (or LED series on a multichip), make sure all the DC grounds are tied together, etc etc. :D

PM me and we can figure it out :)

It's actually really simple. For the electronics, it's one in and one out per LED (or LED series on a multichip), make sure all the DC grounds are tied together, etc etc. :D

PM me and we can figure it out :)

Thanks Ben, I'll shoot you a message when I have time. I have an idea of what I would like to achieve, its the driver side of things I need some help with :).

Steensj2004

You could always tie a bunch of flashlights together, tape on some string, and hang above the tank.... :P

Ben is my goto guy on here for LED stuff, he will push you in the right direction. I think he is onto something with DIY and some fo Dave's killer LED arrays! Good luck!

You could always tie a bunch of flashlights together, tape on some string, and hang above the tank.... :P

Ben is my goto guy on here for LED stuff, he will push you in the right direction. I think he is onto something with DIY and some fo Dave's killer LED arrays! Good luck!

I definitely like the idea of designing my own fixture using Dave's arrays :). I'll make sure to shoot Ben a PM when I have time on my lunch break, get the ball rolling on some ideas ;).

Get a quad, totally worth it, I have mind on a 24" cube and it's so much light and the spectrum is second to none, just save a little more, you won't be disappointed.

not sure why AI and EcoTech (I guess the same company now) insist on using cool whites vs warm whites. Also, I wish they added some limes into the pucks.

Get a quad, totally worth it, I have mind on a 24" cube and it's so much light and the spectrum is second to none, just save a little more, you won't be disappointed.

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of buying Dave's arrays and making my own fixture now. I will get better front to back spread on the 24" wide tank and for similar money as a Quad I can get the power of 6 arrays as opposed to 4.

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of buying Dave's arrays and making my own fixture now. I will get better front to back spread on the 24" wide tank and for similar money as a Quad I can get the power of 6 arrays as opposed to 4.

DO IT.

Join us, my son, on the path to enlightenment. For we are the nanobox nanobots, and we follow the prophet Dave into lighting salvation through Nanobox.

HarryPotter

Join us, my son, on the path to enlightenment. For we are the nanobox nanobots, and we follow the prophet Dave into lighting salvation through Nanobox.

*bow*

I drool over the hybrid.... But dont have a grand to drop upgrading my Radion!

DO IT.

I will succumb to the callings of the NanoBox gods and will bask in the glory of the prophet Dave's LED radiance. All in good time. I will use my AI Sol as a blood sacrifice to appease the gods, I must start the rituals.

Archived