Coral Vue Hydros

The Edge of Darkness

thecoralbeauty

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thecoralbeauty

Thank you! =) I'm so excited and happy with it.

Today I came home and noticed things weren't so perky- so I checked my params. I tested for ammonia first and it was in the .5-1ppm range. I did about a 40% water change (heck, its only like 2 or 3 gallons!) and then tested for nitrite and nitrate out of curiosity and put in some new carbon.

Nitrites were through the roof and nitrate was 15ppm.

so, i'm preparing more water.

things already look better, though. and honestly, with all the food i've been throwing in there, i'm not too surprised. just hope it doesn't swing this fast all the time. I don't plan on feeding this much all the time, i just have been so excited with the new critters haha. I'll have to restrain myself to a few times a WEEK, not a few times a day. :P

smeagol108

I think it will balance out once the cycle catches up. I know u started with established rock etc. But it wasn't used to handling all the food u are throwing at it now, so the bacterial populations have to come back. I wouldn't be afraid of 100% or as close to it as u can get leavin something for the jawfish to slop around in. Just match temp and salinity and nothing in ur tank will even notice. And with ur rocks, a big change like that is still only 5 gallons total volume so one bucket. I do them about once a month in my edge divided up with small changes weekly or biweekly.

Edit- bacterial populations have to get larger not come back. Sorry, meant to say u are experiencing a mini cycle.

thecoralbeauty

Thanks for having hope! I did another 2-3 gallon change just now and am prepping more water, either later tonight or tomorrow.

thecoralbeauty

So the Jawfish apparently doesn't appreciate all the water changes around here today. He's been re-arranging his little nest for the last ten minutes.

So cute! I love these fish!

thecoralbeauty

so came home to tube anemone back in his tube. put a bit of phytofeast in the tank and a shrimp or two for the jawfish (who happily chowed down)

he's starting to wake up back out of his tube. =) at first I had panicked because I've never seen this one shrunk back like that- even when i bought him he was out in the baggy all the way home.

but, damn i'm bad at feeding today. i missed all but two sun coral mouths. ugh. I need to come up with a better method or move this thing around a bit. i've heard of the 2-liter bottle top method... maybe i'll try that when i go to the store next

nitrates are at 5ppm- even though i haven't fed.

I'm feeding today (a tiny bit) because i'm hoping I can lump it in with my other twice-weekly chores: orchids and cat litter- wednesday and sunday.

maybe i'll end up only feeding once a week though if my water gets this dirty this fast!

thecoralbeauty

SMEAGOL'S LIGHTS CAME!!!

I immediately installed (with gorilla tape for reinforcement) and started playing with them.

AND- I got everything to feed. And i didn't end up with a lot of extra food floating around. I think it's actually the sun coral, not me... when its hungry, it's sticky. Otherwise it's just sticking it's tentacles out like a tease.

Behold!! This is a thing of beauty, now!! MOOD LIGHTING!

thecoralbeauty

I sat for a while enjoying the lighting last night and especially like the way the blue actinic spectrum really highlights the fluorescence in the green oral disc of the tube anemone. I really kind of like how fun the changing colors are, but part of me is kind of tempted to leave it on one of the blue colors...I wish I could ask the jawfish what he likes! :unsure: either way, they're beautiful and i'm mesmerized. In fact, they're bright enough that I don't even need the halogens anymore at all, which helps cut down on the electricity as well as the heat they omit. since it's summer, i'm happy about that. :wub:

smeagol108

Beatufiul! another major positive will be very little to no algae growth with the low lighting. Glad you are enjoying it. Hope you got a lot of rows in the hood!!. Its not hard, but it was a simple DIY light that seemed to work when I used it, so I am glad you like it so far. (my girlfriend loved al the pink variations. theres ways you can make your own colors too, but I never messed with that much.

I also like the mood lighting. Very cool. I have always wanted to try some non photogenic corals but with the seahorses already dirty-ing up my water I don't want to risk introducing pathogen bacteria with too much detritus build up from heavy feedings.

thecoralbeauty

Beatufiul! another major positive will be very little to no algae growth with the low lighting. Glad you are enjoying it. Hope you got a lot of rows in the hood!!. Its not hard, but it was a simple DIY light that seemed to work when I used it, so I am glad you like it so far. (my girlfriend loved al the pink variations. theres ways you can make your own colors too, but I never messed with that much.

yea I think there are other ways you can also make your own color fade programs too so like only fading between blues or purples... haha i also think you're right you can blend colors and turn the brightness up and down. SO fancy.

I also like the mood lighting. Very cool. I have always wanted to try some non photogenic corals but with the seahorses already dirty-ing up my water I don't want to risk introducing pathogen bacteria with too much detritus build up from heavy feedings.

firstly- photogenic corals! teehee..... the corals that always look good in pictures!!

(hah, sorry, i totally know you meant photosynthetic, but it was such a cute typo, haha!)

secondly- yea that was my concern, which is why I opted for the separate tank away from my fancy expensive sps and what not in the other tank that i'm trying to grow out. We'll see how this tank matures and if the feedings and water changes are sustainable. If not, I'll have to get creative about how I filter the water in here. I'm pretty attached to the concept, but nutrient export is the main concern. Any random brainstorms or ideas, toss them my way!

Oh how fun! Seems like with low lighting and restrictions on what you can hook up to that tank (like a media reactor), water changes will be your best bet.

LOL, my auto correct on my tablet changes my words all the time. I didn't catch that one but it's really funny!

thecoralbeauty

Thanks coming along nicely cant wait to see it full.

Thanks! I think the final thing I'll put in is a pink tube anemone.... but I can totally fill it up with more dendros!!! =)

The jawfish is still so shy. I hope he/she comes out more often with time.

Today's readings, after i fed everyone yesterday:

Ammonia-0

Nitrites-0

Nitrates-0

BOOM!

FlowerMama

Like your ever changing light display. Ha! Just thought of what it reminds me of. A hot tub of luminated darkness!!.

thecoralbeauty

Awesome tank.

But I think you need to throw in some orchid pics!

I wish orchids were like mangroves and could sit in saltwater and filter water. Then, instead of filters I'd just have orchid gardens behind fish tanks!! Actually i was going to make this room the fish/orchid room, but the orchids like my other window better.

Like your ever changing light display. Ha! Just thought of what it reminds me of. A hot tub of luminated darkness!!.

haha- a hot tub for a jawfish :P I should get him a lady-friend.

HarryPotter

Mwhitelock,

What camera are you using? Very high quality- 1080p video!

I am also enjoying your "Photogenic" corals :)

+1 on adding a girlfriend jawfish. It would be funny to see them spitting (sand) in each other's holes... :naughtydance:

HarryPotter

+1 on adding a girlfriend jawfish. It would be funny to see them spitting (sand) in each other's holes... :naughtydance:

funny kinky

Weirdo..

thecoralbeauty

heh, of course as soon as someone says "hot tub"...

in all seriousness, I'm pretty sure jawfish co-habitate anyway.

Archived