Cultivated Reef

260w PC over 20L...

myelin

Do you guys think that will be sufficient for clams, and some SPS other than brown acro? I just ordered 2 retro kits to go inside a canopy. :)

I think I will stick with the PC's since the 20L is already pretty shallow, and I don't want to light up the whole apartment. I also wanted to simulate morning/evening, and I can't do that with the aqua medic. Although it does seem like a great lamp, I just don't think I need that much for a 20L.

even if you have tons of watts, I don't think the PCs are good enough to keep acros and such colored well for most people. Being that the PC lights are much closer to the surface than a MH pendant you are going to be putting a lot of heat in to the tank.

Right now I am having good luck with a blue tipped acro that is at the bottom of the tank. The lights will be mounted on the lid of the canopy, and the canopy has an open back. I plan on drilling a hole on either said of the canopy for some PC fans to help cool the lights.

Right now, my tank sits at 79.x*F day and night. I have an Aqualight 2x65 sitting 2-3 inches from the water with a glass top covering the tank. I don't have any heat issues. I also live in Texas. My apartment temp sits at 74-75 as well.

I would think that I would have more heat issues with MH than PC lighting. If the PC's don't work out, I can always sell them and go with a 150w MH setup with some PC's. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Originally posted by koolaid

Right now I am having good luck with a blue tipped acro that is at the bottom of the tank.  The lights will be mounted on the lid of the canopy, and the canopy has an open back.  I plan on drilling a hole on either said of the canopy for some PC fans to help cool the lights.

Right now, my tank sits at 79.x*F day and night.  I have an Aqualight 2x65 sitting 2-3 inches from the water with a glass top covering the tank.  I don't have any heat issues.  I also live in Texas.  My apartment temp sits at 74-75 as well.

I would think that I would have more heat issues with MH than PC lighting.  If the PC's don't work out, I can always sell them and go with a 150w MH setup with some PC's.  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

this is another example of the mh hype....it IS NOT always necessary and you don't HAVE to have it. same situation here...i live in texas (hot), i use pc lighting situated in the same way, and have no heat issues....i can grow anything and *gasp* ..even have a clam,....and all are doing well....even growing.

on the flip side, my other tank of the same size has MH lighting...it is doing well also.

in my opinion MH offers more light per watt and is less expensive long term for parts, and is thus cheaper. i see that, as its only real advantage, (other than the fact that you do need it if you have a deep tank.)

so, to anyone with any question as to what lighting (im talking nanos here<)...take ur pick.

sorry a little off topic, but i saw a good example and love to argue the MH bs.

I would agree with you on that, 2muchreef4u. Intensity has a lot to do with lighting as well - not just shelling out a ton of money for what everyone else says you should buy. :)

Originally posted by koolaid

Do you guys think that will be sufficient for clams, and some SPS other than brown acro?  I just ordered 2 retro kits to go inside a canopy. :)

yes.

2muchreef4u

yeap, i always have to use brooklyn johnny's tanks as an example when it comes to mh vs. pc's. it can be done and from what i've read from his previous posts, sps & clams can thrive and not merely survive. he feeds his tanks heavily however has a 10g fuge underneath his show tank to support the bioload. a good skimmer would work too if you don't have a fuge.

sorry, going a bit off topic.

I just picked up a Lee's counter current skimmer to help with the bio load. I'll be sure to post pics when I think the system is worthy!

With these 2 130w PC retros, I really hope to keep a nice variety of SPS and a couple of maxima clams. I like proving people wrong! :P I also have a 32w retro 50/50 I might try to stuff in there. The only thing I am worried about is a possible heat issue. I doubt it though.

Okay, the lights are in the new canopy.

With just one of the 130w lamps on, the temps stay around 80.1*F. With both on, the temps get up to 84.4*F.

I guess that I need a couple of fans in the canopy to cool things back down.

Archived