SaltCritters.com

live rock ?

oceanhighz

hey guys,

I haven't posted as much here as I have on RC, but I read just about every thread when I get on, just about the same on RC. The question I have may be stupid, but I can't figure it out. Here goes.... everytime I move my liverock, there is slimy/gooey stuff on the bottom. I don't know what it is, but today, there was that same looking stuff hanging from one rock in the water column. Can someone tell me what this is or what it could be? Thanks in advance.

??? Brandon???

Its possible to be a lot of things. Muchus from worms, Cocoons from sleeping fish, Sponges, also a type of jelly algae... we'd need a pic or a better description.

NanoReefer53

dave- what fish make those cocoons ? i've never actually seen it except on the nature channel or somethin. egh, but it's actually snot :x

For one, wrasses make cocoons. From what I know it protects them at night when they are sleeping. It masks their scent and keep predators away.

I'm sure there are other benifits but that it the only one I know off the top of my noggin.

Cameron

hey guys, thanks for your replies, I figured out what it was, it's just muchus from the worms on and in the rock, I guess I shoulda figured that out before I asked. Brainfart!:D

Archived