Coral Vue Hydros

~$1600 budget CADLights

Ryan_E

Wait, so because I don't own one, I couldn't have possibly looked through one before, right? Because don't own one, and I didn't get those special glasses that make it super special with my, "Special glass" membership I can't see the difference, right? Maybe I haven't bragged enough about how much my tank cost? Hmmm, oh well.

I know you don't know anything about cannons, the EOS isn't a scope, Its a Large( about the size of that super fancy tank you bought) FLIR, Targeting camera....

I never said you can't ever see the difference, sure you could, if you were actually thinking about it. I can see the difference in Blu-Ray too, but nobody sits there, while trying to pay attention to a 2 hour movie and thins only about how GREAT it looks. If they are, why do they have a TV to watch? The idea that you think about how clear the tank is every time you look into it is ,"Complete and utter bullshit." Again, I own a very nice, very current flatscreen that is as current as definition gets for TV's. I'm not going to sit here and bullshit you and tell you how every time I turn it on I think about how clear and awesome it looks. Lol, I haven't noticed that more than MAYBE 5x since I left the store when I bought it....lmao....

Sorry you have to think in order to see a difference, some can just see it and appreciate knowing that they are seeing things in a better quality/ clearer image.

The mere fact that you have an "up to date tv" proves the point.... seeing things clearer is better, I mean if it wasn't why would you have spent all that extra money when you could have picked up an old tube style tv along the side of the road slapped a new tube in it and been good for a bit less I'm sure LOL. I look at my tank and hell my tv so I don't have to think about shit, I just chill, relax and enjoy :lol:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steensj2004

Sorry you have to think in order to see a difference, some can just see it and appreciate knowing that they are seeing things in a better quality/ clearer image.

The mere fact that you have an "up to date tv" proves the point.... seeing things clearer is better, I mean if it wasn't why would you have spent all that extra money when you could have picked up an old tube style tv along the side of the road slapped a new tube in it and been good for a bit less I'm sure LOL. I look at my tank and hell my tv so I don't have to think about shit, I just chill, relax and enjoy :lol:

Because my wife bought it, that's why. I find no advantage from the last one I had. This is the same guy that said the Gyre was crap, having never owned one. Lol.If Chris doesn't have it, it ain't worth having. He has them looooong dollars, makes sure to let everyone know.... A lot...lmfao
HarryPotter

Guys please stop this. Take the testosterone fight to PM, and let this thread be about Ryan's questions.

Ryan-

it sounds like the CadLight will work for you, just remember the original purchase will only be about 1/2 the total cost.

After that comes lighting, ATO, RO/DI, testing equipment, LR, etc. So make sure to have some wallet wiggle room!

Guys please stop this. Take the testosterone fight to PM, and let this thread be about Ryan's questions.

Ryan-

it sounds like the CadLight will work for you, just remember the original purchase will only be about 1/2 the total cost.

After that comes lighting, ATO, RO/DI, testing equipment, LR, etc. So make sure to have some wallet wiggle room!

That's the plan! Just waiting for the right opportunity to jump on what I want. I may just even buy an SCA 45 gallon and build my own stand and sump.

HarryPotter

That's the plan! Just waiting for the right opportunity to jump on what I want. I may just even buy an SCA 45 gallon and build my own stand and sump.

Sounds great! Any plans in terms of lighting or theoretical critters?

If you were less DIY I would recommend a Red Sea Reefer series- they are beautiful, and have an amazing system built in. However doing it yourself definitely has its perks as well

Steensj2004

I strongly suggest building your own stand and sump. Saves money, and allows to to customize much more for your needs.

Sounds great! Any plans in terms of lighting or theoretical critters?

If you were less DIY I would recommend a Red Sea Reefer series- they are beautiful, and have an amazing system built in. However doing it yourself definitely has its perks as well

Lighting: Kessil or Nanobox (I need to do more research on both, and look at more lights)

Potential Livestock:

-2 clowns (Picasso maybe?)

-Pistol shrimp/goby combo

-From there I am pretty much open to anything. There are so many options I don't know exactly what else I would want yet. Any recommendations/crowd favorites when it comes to fish? I like the behavior/look of flame hawkfish but have heard they can get aggressive with other critters.

-all snail CUC

Corals would start of with basic new reefer stuff just like my fish list :)

- zoas

- duncan

- other softies/LPS that I am yet to discover

- SPS one day in the distant future

CatfishSoupFTW

Uhh guys - it's spelled "Starphire", not "Starfire"...

haha sorry , sme brands call it starfire, originally I knew it was ph, but its also less work for the F. XD and everyone gets it.

GG though lol

as for OP, looks like you got a lot to think of! keep us posted !

The flame hawk is an awesome fish but you will not be able to have shrimp because he will most likely eat them.

Steensj2004

The flame hawk is an awesome fish but you will not be able to have shrimp because he will most likely eat them.

My Longnose Hawkfish never bothered shrimp, although I think they sometimes do. You know what they say, it works, until it doesn't....lol :lol:

My Longnose Hawkfish never bothered shrimp, although I think they sometimes do. You know what they say, it works, until it doesn't....lol :lol:

I had a flame hawk awhile back and he ate my cleaner shrimp but yeah it is pretty much hit and miss you could get lucky and have one that never bothers any shrimp.

Steensj2004

I had a flame hawk awhile back and he ate my cleaner shrimp but yeah it is pretty much hit and miss you could get lucky and have one that never bothers any shrimp.

But one day, that one will get hungry.....lol. I feel its probably inevitable in a smaller tank, like mine. In a very large reef I feel like it would be easier.

Gotta love the CAD haters. I have owned 2 CAD tanks, their Zen 90P and still have their 60P plus I have an Artisan II 70G on order. Their Zen tanks are just as well built with quality glass like ADA and I should know since I also own an ADA 60P and Mini M. A deep blue next to a CAD Zen is pure junk. I purchased my Artisan at a trade show where they showcased all their tanks and every single one was well built. The only thing I don't like is the stand that comes with the Versa as it's MDF vs plywood on the Artisans. The stands on the new Artisans look fantastic.

Yeah that's what I hear... Guess I have to decide between a pistol shrimp/goby combo or a flame hawk.

Gotta love the CAD haters. I have owned 2 CAD tanks, their Zen 90P and still have their 60P plus I have an Artisan II 70G on order. Their Zen tanks are just as well built with quality glass like ADA and I should know since I also own an ADA 60P and Mini M. A deep blue next to a CAD Zen is pure junk. I purchased my Artisan at a trade show where they showcased all their tanks and every single one was well built. The only thing I don't like is the stand that comes with the Versa as it's MDF vs plywood on the Artisans. The stands on the new Artisans look fantastic.

Yeah the MDF scares me... SCA has a killer deal on a PNP package that comes with and MDF stand. The deal is so good that I could buy it and build my own stand for cheaper than an artisan.

Yeah that's what I hear... Guess I have to decide between a pistol shrimp/goby combo or a flame hawk.

Yeah the MDF scares me... SCA has a killer deal on a PNP package that comes with and MDF stand. The deal is so good that I could buy it and build my own stand for cheaper than an artisan.

The skimmers that come with artisans are quite decent. You also get a free auto top off system right now if I'm not mistaken.

Welll.... I just bought an SCA 45 gallon rimless PNP system. The deal was cheap enough that I can still do some DIY work if I choose. If the cabinet is decent, I am going to wood glue it (not much help, but still.) and paint the inside white. Might modify the sump with some advice I got from SteensJ2004. Let the buyers remorse kick in!

• 2 weeks later...
soeminpaing

I was going to advise Redsea Reefer. If I am not moving a lot, I will probably set up one. 250 or 350 Reefer tank seems a good choice. It is going to be a popular series but the problem is you can't seem to be able to buy them anywhere. I hope It will avilable soon. Reefer nano will probably surpass IM Fusion nano tanks in future.

hey bro, sorry didn't have time to read through every one's posts. but I will put my 2 cents in. Take it for what it is worth.

I would recommend going as big as you can from the start. if you see ourself upgrading from this tank to a larger tank down the line, just the the one you want down the line, but get it now. I made the mistake of starting with a 50gal, but it doesn't really house any large fish and there is so much space around the tank, that with a larger one, all the equipment would be hidden and it would overall improve the look of the house. Plus the equipment I got for my 50g could easily run a 120g with an upgrade on my return pump. So now I am stuck with a 50g until I can get a larger one, but I learned it the hard way. I should have just started with the 120g.

it might sound like too much money, $1600, but you will understand quickly how that goes. There are so many options. buying used, or trading equipment for coral or fish, maybe you decide to build your own LED light fixture and save cash for other equipment. Every decision you make will affect the outcome of your experience with the tank, daily. Also, remember time is your friend, be SUPER patient, it helps me to know while I continue to plan things out without buying anything I continue to build $$$ as well, so by the time I actually start the project I have more money than I need, which in turn allows more budget for corals, better equipment, etc.

Do you have a car? Looking at the used sale section of utahreefs.com shows a bunch of tank part-out threads or full setup sales in their marketplace.

Do you have a car? Looking at the used sale section of utahreefs.com shows a bunch of tank part-out threads or full setup sales in their marketplace.

I do, but I already bought everything I need! I got a pretty sweet setup almost exactly at my budget! Nano box, gyre, 45 gal starfire tank, skimmer... all the goods! started cycling last night. I will have to make my own aquarium thread.

hey bro, sorry didn't have time to read through every one's posts. but I will put my 2 cents in. Take it for what it is worth.

I would recommend going as big as you can from the start. if you see ourself upgrading from this tank to a larger tank down the line, just the the one you want down the line, but get it now. I made the mistake of starting with a 50gal, but it doesn't really house any large fish and there is so much space around the tank, that with a larger one, all the equipment would be hidden and it would overall improve the look of the house. Plus the equipment I got for my 50g could easily run a 120g with an upgrade on my return pump. So now I am stuck with a 50g until I can get a larger one, but I learned it the hard way. I should have just started with the 120g.

it might sound like too much money, $1600, but you will understand quickly how that goes. There are so many options. buying used, or trading equipment for coral or fish, maybe you decide to build your own LED light fixture and save cash for other equipment. Every decision you make will affect the outcome of your experience with the tank, daily. Also, remember time is your friend, be SUPER patient, it helps me to know while I continue to plan things out without buying anything I continue to build $$$ as well, so by the time I actually start the project I have more money than I need, which in turn allows more budget for corals, better equipment, etc.

Bought a 45 gallon with a sump and couldn't be happier. No way I have room or money for anything over 50 gallons.

Archived