ReefCleaners.org

Just starting

RJWalters

What would be a good starter DSLR for aquarium shots? I know nothing about photography but would love to get into it hopefully without taking out a second mortgage to accomplish it. Thanks for any tips that you guys have.

CatfishSoupFTW

most DSLR now a days can perform verryyyy well. especially for basic applications. The rebel series is real great for a budget DSLR.

More specially though what I would consider more important, at least un your case for fish photos and corals, is, youre gonna have to get nice and close, so youll be looking into a macro lens. Youll also want a macro lens that can stop down nicely, i.e. up to 2.8 or so. a macro lens will be key as it allows you to get real close. A telephoto is a long lens as well, but its minimal focal distance isnt nearly as good as a macro. And a wide angle is well... wide so it wouldnt do well with what youre probably planning. Though the kit lens hat comes with most entry level cameras will do just for a full tank shot.

I could go into hella more detail as photography is my career lol but I figured id keep it simple.

since budget is low, a t5i or t4i would be good. They perform decently in low light situations. As for a lens, canon makes a 100mm macro lens. One that is fairly inexpensive, and another one, the L series one ( they have a red ring around them) for double the price as the cheapo one. Simple reason on that is overall speed and performance. What many people dont realize is , a DSLR can have lets say 22 MP but if you put a crappy lens on it, youll only have a total performance power of about 6 mp. While the resolution is still worth 22mp, the sharpness will look like 6mp if that makes sense.

feel free to ask for anything if I lost you in any way.

What's your budget? I'm sure you'd be happy with a Canon T5i body and Canon 100mm macro lens; however there are good but cheaper options for both the body and the lens (for either Canon or Nikon camera bodies).

For example, a Nikon D3200 with a Tokina 100mm macro would give you comparable quality pictures for less expense. You could even try an extension tube with a less expensive lens (a cheaper alternative to a true macro lens).

Archived