SaltCritters.com

Chaeto, LED, 6500k vs Red & Blue?

Alexraptor

That is a massive amount of chaeto! A lot of nutrients to export from that setup.

HPS is inexpensive and can work fine. Watt for watt, a properly constructed LED light source can beat it for usable PAR light intensity.

From the pot hydroponics field, they report that HPS still beats out LED in certain greenhouse arrangements, because LEDs are more focused. If you arrange your grow space to be a "sea of green" across a broad area, than HPS are still suitable. If you arrange your grow spaces into delimitated aisles, then a lot of light will be wasted on ground floor rather than plants.

http://www.hightimes.com/read/grow-lighting-led-vs-hps

Personally, if I was going to bolt a grow light into a small poorly vented cabinet, I'd go LED vs HPS unless I lived somewhere cold and needed to raise the water a few degrees consistently throughout the year. If the PAR LED lights were not sufficient and I wanted overkill, then I'd get an LED panel light like:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S2DPYQM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3NRCFMUMD94VX

A video from a LED grow light manufacturer might explain things better between LED and HPS grow lights, though of course it does present itself as "the best", which should not be too surprising:

HarryPotter

That is a massive amount of chaeto! A lot of nutrients to export from that setup.

HPS is inexpensive and can work fine. Watt for watt, a properly constructed LED light source can beat it for usable PAR light intensity.

From the pot hydroponics field, they report that HPS still beats out LED in certain greenhouse arrangements, because LEDs are more focused. If you arrange your grow space to be a "sea of green" across a broad area, than HPS are still suitable. If you arrange your grow spaces into delimitated aisles, then a lot of light will be wasted on ground floor rather than plants.

http://www.hightimes.com/read/grow-lighting-led-vs-hps

Personally, if I was going to bolt a grow light into a small poorly vented cabinet, I'd go LED vs HPS unless I lived somewhere cold and needed to raise the water a few degrees consistently throughout the year. If the PAR LED lights were not sufficient and I wanted overkill, then I'd get an LED panel light like:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S2DPYQM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3NRCFMUMD94VX

A video from a LED grow light manufacturer might explain things better between LED and HPS grow lights, though of course it does present itself as "the best", which should not be too surprising:

I have the Nano-Glo being shipped to me for free any way, so no use going HPS.

I could theoretically sell it and get another fixture (cheaper), what do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/JBJ-Nano-Refugium-Light-Aquarium/dp/B003J89HEU

My refugium is a in-basket one- and is growing great with just the bleed off from the main lighting.

Lots of good info from everyone but I'm still confused on which light or type of light would be best suited for my sump (20 gallon sump)..

Could someone please lead me in the best direction?

I have the Nano-Glo being shipped to me for free any way, so no use going HPS.

I could theoretically sell it and get another fixture (cheaper), what do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/JBJ-Nano-Refugium-Light-Aquarium/dp/B003J89HEU

My refugium is a in-basket one- and is growing great with just the bleed off from the main lighting.

The nice thing about the JBG nano glow is the great form factor and attachment for AIO refugiums. Since you have a refugium basket that is what, about 3 to 4 inches deep from the back wall, and a certain width/height, it delivers the light exactly to the spot that needs the light, so you have very little / no light spillage. Also since it is so slim with the magnet attachent, you don't have weird lighting fixtures jutting out all over the place behind your tank. A lot of people have reported good things from the JBJ nano glo and the IM magna fuge. The LEDs spectrum may not be the "most optimal", but it may be sufficient for your needs, I'd just run with it. They hold their value pretty well on eBay if you decide that you want to change later.

I wouldn't worry until you go to a large refugium that is enclosed in a cabinet where you can't see the light or the fixture, and have a much larger cubic inch space to light. Then the negatives of the other forms of lighting are not so bad, and the positives of efficiency and greater usable PAR becomes more important.

• 2 weeks later...
jamescstein

Evil,

I've been toying with the idea of swapping out ome leds in my JBJ nano-glo. Replacing the stock leds with 660nm and 430nm. Getting 4 http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/3up-solderless-exotic-hyper-violet-led-430nm/and replacing 2 of the leds on that board with 660's.

First, how hard would it be to reflow those chips? Second, too much blue? Or would I just be better off going with all 660's and not even worrying about the blue?

jedimasterben

I doubt that it uses 3535 package LEDs, but if it does, its not hard so long as you can get the MCPCB out.

I also doubt that it uses an LED driver, so you'd more than likely push WAY too much voltage through the LEDs.

jamescstein

Well I just bought a used one to tear open and look at. (don't want to destroy my active refuge light). We'll see what it looks like.

This is not working out well for me....

My Chaeto is doing very poorly under the new Hydroponic light and most of it is growing in a sickly yellow fashion, and like a thick pancake floating on the water surface.

When my 6500k lamps were fresh I would always have a lot of lush and deep growth that reached from the water surface to the bottom of the tank.

RefugiumFruitsofLabour.jpg

It could take some time to adjust to it or maybe there's not enough nutrients to sustain the growth if this could be triggering it to grow faster.

Alexraptor

Did the growth improve eventually or did you switch your refugium light?

I'm sad to say theres been absolutely no improvement.

Even after heavy very heavy feedings which cause increased microalgal growth on the glass, the growth rate of the chaeto remains unchanged.

I took and weighed down the pancake with a rock on the bottom, and all the Chaeto wants to do is grow straight up under the light like a pillar and then pancake out.

It has no desire whatsoever to "fill out" the space in the refugium as it used to.

Ben- How big was your refugium in post #13? I have a 20 gallon sump with about 8 gallons for a refugium.

I'm going to build an led fixture and was wondering how many I would need using the 4-6:1 ratio. I'll probably use Ledgroupbuy 660 and 430.

jedimasterben

Ben- How big was your refugium in post #13? I have a 20 gallon sump with about 8 gallons for a refugium.

I'm going to build an led fixture and was wondering how many I would need using the 4-6:1 ratio. I'll probably use Ledgroupbuy 660 and 430.

Was around 24x12x14. The more, the better.

Archived