Cultivated Reef

Yet another aquarium idea

[InuYasha]

Just a list of things I have been considering doing. I still can't make up my mind, but I think a 20 gallon long would be cool. Here is a list of materials and equipment.

Tank: AGA 20 gallon long drilled for 3 bulkheads

Skimmer: Aqua C Remora 1200 w/prefilter

Lighting: Ocean Light 250W HQI - Aqua Medic AB

Water circulation: SQWD alternator run by Mag Drive 9.5. Pump fed by closed loop system. Returns on both sides of aquarium. Additional pumps can be added if flow is not correct.

Biological filtration: 1-2" bed of oolite sand and crushed coral, 1/3 crushed coral and 2/3 oolite sand

Live rock: Just enough to create 2 small islands on both sides of the aquarium

Calcium and alkalinity buffer: Kalk drip system for all water top-offs

I really like crushed coral, that is the only reason why I want to add some to the sand. I think IMO that it looks better, more natural in the scense that you find crushed coral in high surge shallow areas.

uglybuckling

Hi there,

I read an article on WetWebMedia, or *somewhere* a few days ago that said not to use bleached coral in reef tanks because it can potentially leach phosphates, heavy metals, and other toxins.

Now I can't find the &^%_#$@ article. I'll let you know if I see it again later.

--B

matt the fiddler

you don't want to pull sand or crushed coral from any beach- pollutants.... tank death-

you will get better bio filtration if you mix crushed coral wiht southdown. still the look- better mix :)

Ok, I said that wrong, it comes from florida, it is sand from a bag. I guess I said beach because I was reffering to the beach in general. I think it is actually collected farther out. Also, we don't have southdown in my area.

Archived