Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sump for 10 gallon display

PDR

I currently have a 10 gallon display tank and was wondering if adding a sump would noticeably benefit to the tank. I am starting to add more corals to my tank and would love to add a decent amount of sps. I currently do not have a skimmer and would probably add one to the sump.

I am thinking at least a 10 gallon sump, but could go a big as a 30 if needed. My primary reason is for increased water volume for stability and a better place for equipment.

Would increased water changes (realistically as much as 2x per week), benefit more than a sump/skimmer?

Also at this time I am not interested in changing my display tank.

Thanks

dchapman10

I too, am new to sumps but I have been reading up a lot on them and it seems like there are more pros than cons. The biggest thing I've read is that it increases your water volume, which will make the water more stable (which you might really want if you want SPS). I have a 20L and I'm thinking about a sump so that I can move my equipment to it --> more room for corals!!! I've also heard that it makes maintenance much easier.

I hope others chime in and that you get some good info. I'll definitely be following! :)

NorthGaHillbilly

Adding a sump is the best move you can make IMO. I would go as large as possible, a 10g is pretty limiting, but much better than nothing. Make sure to read up on skimmers so you make sure you plan your sump with enough room to fit one youd likely buy, if/when you get one

Adding a sump is the best move you can make IMO. I would go as large as possible, a 10g is pretty limiting, but much better than nothing. Make sure to read up on skimmers so you make sure you plan your sump with enough room to fit one youd likely buy, if/when you get one

Do you think a fuge in the sump would be worth it? What I've read seems really hit or miss.

NorthGaHillbilly

Do you think a fuge in the sump would be worth it? What I've read seems really hit or miss.

Ive got one, more for pod population as my fish keep the display pretty Spartan, but even then, its likely usless. But like I said, I think a fuge under ~25% of the DT volume likely does nothing, but I have one and like seeing the different environment down there.

16402591114_3576b14895_c.jpg20150403_202411 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

SchnauzerFace

Adding a 10g sump to a 10g DT would, more or less, double your water volume. Definitely a good thing. I am adding a 10g sump to my 17g build because it will increase water volume, supply a place for a filter sock (hey, I like them!), and provide a nice refugium for macro algae. It'll also add additional flow from the return line and be a safer place to dose as needed.

But the most important thing (for me at least), is that it'll allow me to hide the heater, GFO reactor, DIY kalk dripper, and maybe eventually a skimmer. I don't want to see any of that crap in the tank or hovering nearby.

A refugium is also a second tank, so you can keep some fun stuff down there :) I'm somewhat anti-crab, but I LOVE emeralds, so I think my refugium is going to double as a luxurious bachelor pad for my emerald. If it was bigger, I'd probably put an arrow crab in there instead ... anyway, the point is that sumps or refugiums are good news bears.

Thanks for the replies, but back to my original question. Would there be a significant benefit to adding a sump to this size tank with the alternative being 20% water changes 2x week?

PathOfDeception

To be honest you said you would be able to go up to 30 gallons in your OP. If you're up for that I would say upgrade to a larger tank and use your current 10 gallon as a sump. If you still want the 10 gallon as display no matter what, any size sump will help. But in the end the decision is yours about sumping a 10 gallong tank. I have no intention to sump my 20L and am doing great so far. Now if I had anything above a 40 breeder I would not hesitate to drill that tank and sump it.

Cencalfishguy56

To be honest you said you would be able to go up to 30 gallons in your OP. If you're up for that I would say upgrade to a larger tank and use your current 10 gallon as a sump. If you still want the 10 gallon as display no matter what, any size sump will help. But in the end the decision is yours about sumping a 10 gallong tank. I have no intention to sump my 20L and am doing great so far. Now if I had anything above a 40 breeder I would not hesitate to drill that tank and sump it.

That's how I feel I've never had a dump but if I did Id rather have a larger DT than I would a sump but just my 2 cents ahah

Sump* lmao

Archived