Cultivated Reef

Bill's DIY 10 Gallon AIO

billbug68

OK, then check out ADA tanks for the most "Minimalist contemporary" look out there.

Yeah, I know all about the ADA tanks... I originally came from the high tech planted side...

Here's one of my scapes in my old 12 long...

CBC3816D-8BAA-41EB-AC53-CE69F36DA455_zps

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would definitely go with a frag tank! I would love to have a big 60+ gallon frag tank that's only about 8-10" deep. Light them with some pendant LEDs so that each section can be controlled individually for varying light intensities.

I would definitely go with a frag tank! I would love to have a big 60+ gallon frag tank that's only about 8-10" deep. Light them with some pendant LEDs so that each section can be controlled individually for varying light intensities.

I'm thinking a 20 long?

20 longs are nice but the only issue I have with them is lighting which can be a bit expensive. It's 30" long so you're going to need two AI primes, 2 kessils, etc. There are some fixtures that can light the whole tank by themselves. You can put up one of those chinese panels and as long as it's high enough and doesn't have any optics, you should be fine. A nanobox duo would be my dream fixture for my 20 long but I just don't have the money for it. To sum things up, I would base it on how you plan on lighting it. If you are going with a single fixture, you're probably better off with a 20 long since it's 6" shorter from side to side. If you plan on getting two fixtures (2 primes, 2 kessils, etc.) I would just jump up to a 40 breeder and really take advantage of the footprint that those lights can cover.

Well... I made my decision...

Pulled the trigger on the fusion 10 and an ai prime today. Woot woot.

Gonna have to find a way to DIY a decent looking mount for the light. The tank mount ai makes is hideous. What are these companies thinking? They design a gorgeous sleek little fixture and offer a generic ugly looking metal bracket to mount it? I don't get it!

Archived