inTank Media Baskets

Anyone not really like the look of LED?

onefang

sam_the_reefer

I feel your pain. I really like the look of flourescent/t5 but I have no choice but to use LEDs at the moment because it has given the best results for me so far in terms of growth and coral "happiness". I'm currently using PAR38s and will be making a DIY diffuser for it to lessen the disco effect.

So.. let me say right off.. I don't want any flame war in this thread, and am not intending to troll in any way.

I am looking for some constructive input.

After having a few LED setups in the past, and never really liking the look and coverage, I have been debating on going back to a fluorescent setup for my tank. I get crazy looks when I talk to my reefing friends when I say that I find "shimmer" to be somewhat obnoxious, and that I like the light soaked, even look of fluorescent fixtures better. Even with denser groupings of LEDs with wide 120 degree optics, all the fixtures I've had(which include, AI Sol Nano, Several PAR30 and 38s, 65w Ebay fixture, beefed up ecoxotic pico arm, and pair of the newish 18w IM Skye fixtures) spotlight color to some degree, and if there were techno playing I might think it was a goby rave.

Anyone ever bail on LED and go back to Fluorescent(T5, power compact, etc)? Anyone find a way to get their LED fixtures to look similar to their old T5s by using some type of diffusion material, or other methods?

I am curious to see if there are any other crazy people out there. :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reefernanoman

I'm an LED guy right now. The main reason above all else is the form factor LED provides versus Halides and T5's. For pico and nano Tanks smaller than 20 gallon, the latter would look goofy :P

LED's for the minimal heat, quiet operation, and low power use.

The disco banding that occurs with a lot of fixtures (even high end) bother me immensely; that's why I went with a Kessil this time around. The shimmer took a bit to get used to, but the flatness of T5's is a bit of a turn off for me personally and makes things look a bit too static. I really think the future of LED is dense matrix arrays with complimentary optics.

I like that T5's fill the space with even light, and I love Halides look but not the power consumption, heat and build replacements :closedeyes:

My next fixture after an upgrade will most likely be a T5/LED Hybrid or an LED w/ dense matrix (like the upcoming Kessil AP700)

I already like how this seems to be far more civil conversation than the one over at Reef Central.

I'm in love with dense matrix :)

Reefkid88

Would taking a piece of clear acrylic and roughing it up give you less "disco" or "shimmer" I love all 3 types of lighting (t5,led,halides) but I love the color LEDs have when all the pumps are off and you have no shimmer... It's a real struggle -__-

I really like my LEDs. I like the shimmer, looks more real to me. But I guess a lot of it has to do with personal preference and your specific light unit. :)

Reefkid88

Damn,that's awesome. Not too bad as in loss of par and still get good color !!! I may have to see if I can find some locally,thanks Ben !!!

Archived