Cultivated Reef

Elos MIDI Pool60

cbort

Some updated shots of the MIDI. Redid the aquascape and moved a bunch of stuff to the frag tank in order to simplify it. Here it is....

4873B5CD-3E25-46BF-89E6-29F94443E06D_zps

E9B2FECE-4081-4760-976C-42CE8163D9E3_zps

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice looking tank! considering getting an Elos mini in the future for a second tank, also looking at the Reefer nano though to compliment the reefer 250 i have.

How do you like the prime in terms of power and growth?

Tagging along! tank looks great!!!

Thanks smiz!

Nice looking tank! considering getting an Elos mini in the future for a second tank, also looking at the Reefer nano though to compliment the reefer 250 i have.

How do you like the prime in terms of power and growth?

Thanks dirtrider225! I defiantly recommend an Elos! My next tank will probably be the 120xl. These tanks are 2nd to none in quality! The only thing I am going to do in the near future for my MIDI is upgrade to a custom built stand. These particle board stands take in moisture and warp pretty easily.

As for the AI Prime, I'm still loving it. Perfect size for my MIDI. The main corals I have in my tank are softies and zoas this far, and growth has been decent. I really need to get better with water changes and dosing and then I am sure growth would be a lot better.

Small update on the frag tank, after pulling a bunch of stuff from the MIDI and putting it into the frag tank, the frag tank is now full.

4F38CB72-4FD2-490E-8CE6-02308B249D07_zps

Great looking rescape C

Thanks Rehype!

awesome scape! Loving the bare bottom! Is the BB a pain to maintain? Any plans with it, trying to cover it in coraline or coral or something?

Thanks Smiz! Not a pain at all. Basically to clean my side glass I use an old credit card style card(thick one from a hotel I think) and an old tooth brush to clean the corners. I just use those two tools on the bottom. I like it a lot better than sand. The reflection from the rock structure and corals is pretty neat, and after I do my scraping, I take a hose and suck out everything that settles at the bottom. You don't really ever have to worry about to much flow kicking up sand and making a mess. Eventually I think I am going to frag a bunch of dime sized frags of Super Bright green GSP and try to make a carpet! Thought that might look pretty neat too!

Thanks Rehype!

Thanks Smiz! Not a pain at all. Basically to clean my side glass I use an old credit card style card(thick one from a hotel I think) and an old tooth brush to clean the corners. I just use those two tools on the bottom. I like it a lot better than sand. The reflection from the rock structure and corals is pretty neat, and after I do my scraping, I take a hose and suck out everything that settles at the bottom. You don't really ever have to worry about to much flow kicking up sand and making a mess. Eventually I think I am going to frag a bunch of dime sized frags of Super Bright green GSP and try to make a carpet! Thought that might look pretty neat too!

Awesome im really digging it! I've always wanted a monti carpet of encrusting sps.

• 1 month later...

Love the scape!

Thanks justinfox! Bare bottom is tough to aquascape! I need to attach all of the rock work as it seems every time I do maintenance on the tank I knock the rock work over and have to start all over! Lol

What are the dimensions of the Midi?

57cm x 50cm x 48.5cm which translates to 22.44" x 19.69" x 19.09"

Awesome im really digging it! I've always wanted a monti carpet of encrusting sps.

Yea, the carpet idea sure would look great when it's complete! I would love to try something encrusting until I had to move! Lol. I figured GSP would have a better survival rate when moved. My next idea is to try and find some really thin black star board and cut it to fit the bottom that way when I do move it will be easy to just pull it out and put it in a bucket for transporting.

Added a few new pieces to the display. Though I liked the simple rock structure I had going before I wanted to add some softies and filler pieces for movement.

6FADC65B-5815-4077-BD8B-557F91CCA3C8_zps

3F529FB6-CD49-49A8-9EF5-8E18EF633B8B_zps

025C78B9-7B3E-456F-8C12-491E220578F5_zps

Nice to see a prime over a bigger tank. It worked really well on my 20g. Is that a yellow tang?

Yea, the Prime works great over the MIDI. The coverage is perfect, and I have had great growth with it from softies and LPS. I have yet to try SPS with it, but I will in time. Yes, there was a yellow tang in there.

Yea, the Prime works great over the MIDI. The coverage is perfect, and I have had great growth with it from softies and LPS. I have yet to try SPS with it, but I will in time. Yes, there was a yellow tang in there.

I second this I am having great growth and coverage with the Prime over my RSR 170.

I second this I am having great growth and coverage with the Prime over my RSR 170.

Good to hear! I love how small and compact the light is too? It just looks clean!

Looking good man. What species is that spotted fish? I cant tell from the pic

Rehype, it's a spotted grouper. I love predator fish. He has a super cool personality. Always out, or perched on cliffs waiting to be fed. Naturally, since my wife says no to having a dog, I have named him Spot. Lol. I am trying to acquire a Miniatus grouper to keep him company.

I had great SPS growth with the prime.

Great to hear. I am not into SPS right now, but I will get the itch soon.

Good to hear! I love how small and compact the light is too? It just looks clean!

Looking good man. What species is that spotted fish? I cant tell from the pic

Rehype, it's a spotted grouper. I love predator fish. He has a super cool personality. Always out, or perched on cliffs waiting to be fed. Naturally, since my wife says no to having a dog, I have named him Spot. Lol. I am trying to acquire another grouper

I had great SPS growth with the prime.

Great to hear! I am not much into SPS right now, but I am sure I'll get the itch again soon.

Christmas Tree reflection shot...

D62C126C-CA0E-46A3-87D6-8FFB2B17B0B2_zps

Hollywood Stunner Chalice 5" approximately...

D53D6CC8-590A-4775-AA4A-9D026840FE1F_zps

Messing around with photo editing. Kind of a cool shot....

D84F9EA4-6888-4011-B767-74B6E74FEE06_zps

Freshly fragged PE morph. Any ideas on an ID?

39E7B1A9-DCC6-4413-9B95-7A60B86D750C_zps

Miami Vice (AKA Blue Kisses)

C0265A53-CBF2-4924-B9E7-3722ED00D37A_zps

Lastly, these are my Salted Agave zoas. Both of these photos are from the same mother colony. The first one was when I first received them and under my AI Prime for roughly 6 months. The second photo is in my frag tank. They have really changed under MH/PC combo. I love the look of these after putting them under halides.

D19EDF10-07CE-460D-AC6E-21BE1B630344_zps

A59438B7-E85D-4CB7-9148-CF088729CD28_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Love your tank! I was so close to pulling the trigger on an Elos...

It's also nice to see that we have nice lookin' tanks in Nebraska as well! If you don't mind me asking, where do you get most of your livestock? The few LFS I visited were kind of disappointing.

Christmas Tree reflection shot...D62C126C-CA0E-46A3-87D6-8FFB2B17B0B2_zps

Hollywood Stunner Chalice 5" approximately...D53D6CC8-590A-4775-AA4A-9D026840FE1F_zps

Messing around with photo editing. Kind of a cool shot....D84F9EA4-6888-4011-B767-74B6E74FEE06_zps

Freshly fragged PE morph. Any ideas on an ID?39E7B1A9-DCC6-4413-9B95-7A60B86D750C_zps

Miami Vice (AKA Blue Kisses)C0265A53-CBF2-4924-B9E7-3722ED00D37A_zps

Lastly, these are my Salted Agave zoas. Both of these photos are from the same mother colony. The first one was when I first received them and under my AI Prime for roughly 6 months. The second photo is in my frag tank. They have really changed under MH/PC combo. I love the look of these after putting them under halides. D19EDF10-07CE-460D-AC6E-21BE1B630344_zpsA59438B7-E85D-4CB7-9148-CF088729CD28_zps

• 1 month later...

Love your tank! I was so close to pulling the trigger on an Elos...

It's also nice to see that we have nice lookin' tanks in Nebraska as well! If you don't mind me asking, where do you get most of your livestock? The few LFS I visited were kind of disappointing.

Most of my stuff has come from either online or trading with other members from Nebraska Reef Society. They have two Facebook pages. One for discussion and another for classifieds.

Archived