Top Shelf Aquatics

Air valve mod for Vertex Omega

gus6464

If you have issues with your Vertex Omega going crazy and overflowing or not being consistent you can try this mod. Thanks to sinful from rc for the mod.

Take the air valve from an MJ pump and stick it on top of the air inlet. Apparently these skimmers still take in a ton of air even with the venturi on the pump fully closed. After doing this my Omega 130 is not acting crazy and it's producing some super thick dry skimmate.

IMG_20150419_173733.jpg

This looks to be a good mod vs raising or lowering the water level on the sump. I have my Omega on 7.5" of water.

I have my wedge pipe fully open, venturi closed, and the MJ air valve half a turn open.

so cool gus can you post the link from rc so i can read up on it please

what mj pump?

There isn't a link per se on the mod, I just made a post about the Vertex driving me insane and he posted a pic with the mod he did.

I am pretty sure any regular size MJ pump will work. My air valve is from the MJ1200 which came with my BRS dual reactor.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23684112#post23684112

I have read the omega thread on RC and vertex seems to have underrated the capability of these skimmers by a lot. Some people are using the 130 on 150g systems with big bioloads. Using them on smaller tanks seems to be quite a pain to setup.

to sick man

do you have any extras?

Nah MJ pumps only come with one of those. Maybe an LFS can hook you up or I bet if you contacted Cobalt and told them you lost yours they might send you one.

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been a week since I tamed the beast with the airline mod and it's putting out some truly disgusting stuff. This skimmer really is quite good after it breaks in properly and it's tuned which can be a huge pain.

IMG_20150502_004242.jpg

Steensj2004

I got mine dialed in without needing to mod. Raising the skimmer with a stand produced KILLER results. Cool idea though. I ditched mine in favor of a NYOS ?

• 2 weeks later...

ive done the same mod myself per the thread you're talking about. So you have the wedge pipe completely open??

Can you guestimate how many turns you did on the valve?

Any help is appreciated. Im still having some issues with tuning my 130. I was at about the halfway mark on the wedge pipe with about half the air being restricted from stock and it was steady for about a week.. then it slowly started to tune out to where it wasn't producing so I had to restrict more air and eventually close the pipe more and then it happened.. overflowed... nasty stuff when it does

How big is your tank? How many fish? Just trying to get an idea on your bioload compared to my own.. if I cant get this thing working it will be for sale here soon... a shame.. a solid design and good looking skimmer.. just can't keep messing with it like I have been.,. keeps me on edge. Any way you can take a video of the skimmer in action? Interested in the water line and the way your skimmer looks.. as in where the bubbles are popping in regards to the level in the neck.

ive done the same mod myself per the thread you're talking about. So you have the wedge pipe completely open??

Can you guestimate how many turns you did on the valve?

Any help is appreciated. Im still having some issues with tuning my 130. I was at about the halfway mark on the wedge pipe with about half the air being restricted from stock and it was steady for about a week.. then it slowly started to tune out to where it wasn't producing so I had to restrict more air and eventually close the pipe more and then it happened.. overflowed... nasty stuff when it does

How big is your tank? How many fish? Just trying to get an idea on your bioload compared to my own.. if I cant get this thing working it will be for sale here soon... a shame.. a solid design and good looking skimmer.. just can't keep messing with it like I have been.,. keeps me on edge. Any way you can take a video of the skimmer in action? Interested in the water line and the way your skimmer looks.. as in where the bubbles are popping in regards to the level in the neck.

Display is 23g and with sump system is 30g net volume. The skimmer is sitting at 7.5" of water. Wedge pipe is fully open. The air valve is open one full 360deg turn from closed. I have 3 fish. I feed my corals heavily though with Aquavitro Fuel every other day, Fauna Marin LPS once a week, and KZ Coral Vitalizer the days I don't do Fuel. When I feed the tank I turn off the skimmer for an hour.

NirvanaandTool

Going to have to try this on my Omega150. It was skimming really well for a few months and then went nuts and started overflowing like crazy. Took it apart to clean it and I'll have to do this air valve mod once I put the thing back in my sump.

Display is 23g and with sump system is 30g net volume. The skimmer is sitting at 7.5" of water. Wedge pipe is fully open. The air valve is open one full 360deg turn from closed. I have 3 fish. I feed my corals heavily though with Aquavitro Fuel every other day, Fauna Marin LPS once a week, and KZ Coral Vitalizer the days I don't do Fuel. When I feed the tank I turn off the skimmer for an hour.

damn, that's a lot of skimmer for that tank!

Thanks for the info!

• 3 months later...

Had a air valve from a MJ900 I'm going to use for my ATO and threw that on my skimmer. It finally settled down and stopped overflowing after trying to dial it in for the past week.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the idea...

I had a ball valve in the airline but that wasn't helping much

I have done what you guys have said to do but I am getting massive micro bubbles coming out of the outflow

I am finally getting the water up to the neck with some dry skim...but these bubbles are killing me

Lastly, I had to close my mail flow valve almost half and open the pump air valve to make this even work a little

Any ideas?

Thanks for the idea...

I had a ball valve in the airline but that wasn't helping much

I have done what you guys have said to do but I am getting massive micro bubbles coming out of the outflow

I am finally getting the water up to the neck with some dry skim...but these bubbles are killing me

Lastly, I had to close my mail flow valve almost half and open the pump air valve to make this even work a little

Any ideas?

Hmm my Omega was doing that when it was still breaking in. After it broke in no more micro bubbles out the wedge. How long have you had the pump?

Archived