SaltCritters.com

11 gallons squared underwater mushroom garden...now with sand and scape

nismo_sky32

nismo_sky32

Oh ok, that make sense :)

Thanks

What overflow are you using now? Is this going on your 12 gallon?
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MrNanoReef

What overflow are you using now? Is this going on your 12 gallon?

I'm using a DIY overflow box on HOB sump, its glue to the left corner of my 12g long tank. I want to switch to the bottom sump but keep the overflow box in the same place since its glued in. My plan is just to drill the glass, install the bulkhead and go from there.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/342379-12g-long-nano-reef-bryopsis-gone-new-diy-stand/page-4#entry4792756

Btw, what is the extra 1" gasket for? do you just glue the flex pvc to the slip bulkhead?

How do you match flow of drain to your return pump? what pump rate do you recommend?

nismo_sky32

I'm using a DIY overflow box on HOB sump, its glue to the left corner of my 12g long tank. I want to switch to the bottom sump but keep the overflow box in the same place since its glued in. My plan is just to drill the glass, install the bulkhead and go from there.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/342379-12g-long-nano-reef-bryopsis-gone-new-diy-stand/page-4#entry4792756

Btw, what is the extra 1" gasket for? do you just glue the flex pvc to the slip bulkhead?

How do you match flow of drain to your return pump? what pump rate do you recommend?

If you need everything but the the overflow box, I would contact glassholes and tell them what your plans are. They should be able to hook you up. The overflow you're using should work with their setup. The second 1 inch gasket goes between the glass and the back of the overflow to avoid leaking. That wouldn't be necessary on yours but having one on both the inside and outside of the glass wouldn't hurt. The recommended gph is between 200 and 300. The pump I'm using is 500 gph before head loss and probably around 300 after and I like the flow it's providing. I think it could handle a little more to be honest but then you might get some noise. Instead of glueing the flex hose into the 90, I used self adhesive silicone plumbing tape. This gives me the option to move things around easier if needed

MrNanoReef

If you need everything but the the overflow box, I would contact glassholes and tell them what your plans are. They should be able to hook you up. The overflow you're using should work with their setup. The second 1 inch gasket goes between the glass and the back of the overflow to avoid leaking. That wouldn't be necessary on yours but having one on both the inside and outside of the glass wouldn't hurt. The recommended gph is between 200 and 300. The pump I'm using is 500 gph before head loss and probably around 300 after and I like the flow it's providing. I think it could handle a little more to be honest but then you might get some noise. Instead of glueing the flex hose into the 90, I used self adhesive silicone plumbing tape. This gives me the option to move things around easier if needed

That's very helpful, thank you. Where do you get silicone plumbing tape? is this available at HD or Lowes?

Also, its strange that Glassholes tell you to install the bulkhead backward, normally the flange side should be in the inside. I personally don't see a difference but BRS video said otherwise.

nismo_sky32

That's very helpful, thank you. Where do you get silicone plumbing tape? is this available at HD or Lowes?

Also, its strange that Glassholes tell you to install the bulkhead backward, normally the flange side should be in the inside. I personally don't see a difference but BRS video said otherwise.

https://www.rescuetape.com/

This is the stuff I use. Usually get it from my local true value hardware but I'm sure the big stores have it or something similar. I think glassholes has the bulkhead backwards to fit in the small overflow. I'll snap a pic when I get off work tonight

nismo_sky32

20150515_172853_zpsxhxh2bls.jpg

Inside of the overflow box

20150429_210519_zpsv7d93wie.jpg

Pic of the overflow elbow with the silicone rescue tape on it

MrNanoReef

20150515_172853_zpsxhxh2bls.jpg

Inside of the overflow box

Thanks for the pic. It didn't know there were baffles inside the box, what are those for?

nismo_sky32

The overflow includes a cover that goes over those baffles then enkenmat on top of the cover. The water runs over that and under the sides of the baffles. I forgot to include the other pic. At first, I was like wth! How's the water get down the drain until I put my finger in the overflow and felt the gaps lol

MrNanoReef

The overflow includes a cover that goes over those baffles then enkenmat on top of the cover. The water runs over that and under the sides of the baffles. I forgot to include the other pic. At first, I was like wth! How's the water get down the drain until I put my finger in the overflow and felt the gaps lol

Ok so it looks like the baffles are part of the design to make it quiet, so it may be be noisy with just my plain overflow.

I will need to make a tank transfer fast (within a day or two) because it's a running tank so I don't have enough time to remove the old overflow and clean up the silicone.

I have 6 gallon holding tank, and extra water in a 5 gallon buckets but can't run it like that for too long.

I'm still figuring out what is the best way to make the switch and what to buy. ideas?

nismo_sky32

It's actually quietest without the baffle top and enkemat. I don't think you'd have any issue with noise with the right flow. I'll try and post a few short vids if I can. I tried posting a 30 second vid but it must've been too large

MrNanoReef

It's actually quietest without the baffle top and enkemat. I don't think you'd have any issue with noise with the right flow. I'll try and post a few short vids if I can. I tried posting a 30 second vid but it must've been too large

It's still unclear what the two baffles outside the bulkhead are for. So you don't think i need them? what is an enkemat btw? but with flex pvc, how would you control the flow?

id love to see a video too :D

nismo_sky32

It's still unclear what the two baffles outside the bulkhead are for. So you don't think i need them? what is an enkemat btw? but with flex pvc, how would you control the flow?

I would use a valve on the return line to control the flow. I did that on my durso drain also

id love to see a video too :D

We have video. Cell phone quality but still...video!

nismo_sky32

Ok so it looks like the baffles are part of the design to make it quiet, so it may be be noisy with just my plain overflow.

I will need to make a tank transfer fast (within a day or two) because it's a running tank so I don't have enough time to remove the old overflow and clean up the silicone.

I have 6 gallon holding tank, and extra water in a 5 gallon buckets but can't run it like that for too long.

I'm still figuring out what is the best way to make the switch and what to buy. ideas?

As far as this goes, I would just treat it like a tank transfer. It'll be similar to what I did because I didn't have the new tank setup prior as I went with the same stand and place in the room. I drained what water I didn't need and disposed of that. Next I drained some water in buckets and totes. I moved the sand into one bucket, rock into another and the livestock into the tote. I had a heater and powerhead in the tote. I drilled my tank beforehand so I just had to remove the old tank and place the new. You'll have to drill the tank after emptying it but it was pretty damn easy. Not sure if you've ever drilled but take your time and go slow. Let the weight of the drill do all the work and don't apply any extra force. A little chipping will probably happen but as long as the bulkhead gaskets cover them it'll be fine. Should only take a few minutes per hole and I've heard that putting duct tape on the inside of glass where you're drilling helps with the chipping. I'll try that the next time I drill a tank. Rinse the tank of glass debris and you're good to go

so much quieter then i thought it was going to be. love it.

I seriously effing love it. So much quieter than the durso on the cad artisan and it's simple. The vid only had my return pump going and the loudest part of it was the ai prime humming in the background. If the skimmer is going, I can hear that over the overflow

MrNanoReef

Thanks for the vid, can't believe how quiet it is. I thought my pc has sound problem...lol

So how far down is the bulkhead from the lowest part of the teeth? trying to figure out where I should install the bulkhead so the water will cover the entire drain hole without sucking airs in.

And what's the small black tube coming out the 90 elbow?

Do you think i'd just go for it with my existing box or try to remove it (prefer not to).

nismo_sky32

The bulkhead won't be completely covered by water because of the style drain. It's not set up to be a full siphon style drain. The small black tube coming out of the 90 is there to let let out any air that does get in the drain line before it hits the sump to avoid the gurgling sound you hear in some setups. I read somewhere that you want to drill as far from the top rim as the diameter of the drill bit is. In this case it is 1.75 inches. I'm still learning the mathematics about what size overflow and drain size can handle what as far as gph so I just went with what glassholes recommended. You don't want the bulkhead too far from the teeth as this can create the waterfall sound from the father drop

Just measured it up and the top of the inner diameter of the bulkhead is right around 2 inches from the top of the teeth. The pump that I'm using pushing 500 gph has a prefect water level in both the tank and the overflow. It let's just enough air in the drain to keep it quiet. I'm thinking this is one reason my durso was so loud. The pump wasn't pushing enough water for the 1.5 inch drain

MrNanoReef

The bulkhead won't be completely covered by water because of the style drain. It's not set up to be a full siphon style drain. The small black tube coming out of the 90 is there to let let out any air that does get in the drain line before it hits the sump to avoid the gurgling sound you hear in some setups. I read somewhere that you want to drill as far from the top rim as the diameter of the drill bit is. In this case it is 1.75 inches. I'm still learning the mathematics about what size overflow and drain size can handle what as far as gph so I just went with what glassholes recommended. You don't want the bulkhead too far from the teeth as this can create the waterfall sound from the father drop

Just measured it up and the top of the inner diameter of the bulkhead is right around 2 inches from the top of the teeth. The pump that I'm using pushing 500 gph has a prefect water level in both the tank and the overflow. It let's just enough air in the drain to keep it quiet. I'm thinking this is one reason my durso was so loud. The pump wasn't pushing enough water for the 1.5 inch drain

Ok i think i'll go for it then. Looks like I will need all the parts except the overflow box.

Very helpful info. Thanks again.

I'm gonna need to finish my DIY stand and put baffles in 10g tank for a sump before I can make the transfer.

nismo_sky32

Ok i think i'll go for it then. Looks like I will need all the parts except the overflow box.

Very helpful info. Thanks again.

I'm gonna need to finish my DIY stand and put baffles in 10g tank for a sump before I can make the transfer.

You won't be disappointed. Like I said, I would just contact glassholes and tell them what you need. Just look at what comes with the nano overflow package and make a list. I was amazed at everything I needed lol. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask

MrNanoReef

You won't be disappointed. Like I said, I would just contact glassholes and tell them what you need. Just look at what comes with the nano overflow package and make a list. I was amazed at everything I needed lol. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask

I'm talking with Mike from glassholes, lets see what he say. Could you measure how far down from the lowest part of the teeth to the inner diameter of the bulkhead? since my teeth height is different than yours I can't base on the top of the teeth.

What pump do you recommend? was thinking Syncra or Eheim but wanted to keep it under $100.

is this a bit overkill or not? IMO, its huge size pump for such a small tank.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eheim-1250-universal-pump.html

I'm talking with Mike from glassholes, lets see what he say. Could you measure how far down from the lowest part of the teeth to the inner diameter of the bulkhead? since my teeth height is different than yours I can't base on the top of the teeth.

What pump do you recommend? was thinking Syncra or Eheim but wanted to keep it under $100.

is this a bit overkill or not? IMO, its huge size pump for such a small tank.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eheim-1250-universal-pump.html

thats the pump i have and i love it. worth the money imo

MrNanoReef

thats the pump i have and i love it. worth the money imo

awesome, so is 320 GPH output before or after head lost? 6.5 ft. but my stands is only about 4ft max to the tank overflow.

nismo_sky32

awesome, so is 320 GPH output before or after head lost? 6.5 ft. but my stands is only about 4ft max to the tank overflow.

The top of the inner diameter to the top of the teeth is right around 2 inches maybe slightly over. I've heard good things about those eheim pumps. The 320 would probably be before head loss I'm assuming as most post the number before any. I would aim at or just above the 500 gph then adjust the flow accordingly. You can always limit a pumps flow but can't speed it up if it's needed. Maybe look at the sicce 2.0. I've personally owned one and I regret selling it. I'm running the Chinese pump that came with the artisan tank and it almost looks like a green sicce knockoff

Edit: just looked and the eheim 1250 is about 198gph at 4'

Archived