SaltCritters.com

Clam?

KYreef

Let me start by saying I do not have a decent photo yet, but I hope to soon. I just bought a few shells the other day from my LFS for some scarlet hermits that were getting a bit big for their current shells. They were probably from snails which had long since died. One had a weird encrusting mass on it that I paid no attention to. They were just .10 cents. I got back and dropped them in the tank. I noticed that one of my scarlets had set up shop in the encrusted shell. Today I noticed that the encrusting mass on top of the shell had actually opened revealing a peraly material on the inside. Thinking it weird, I reached to grab the hermit for closer inspection of its shell. when I touched the shell the opening snapped shut..WTF. It was then that I noticed the opening was wavy...just like every other clam I had ever seen, but I hadn't put 2 and 2 together....it was just weird that it was attached to the snail shell. It's about 1 inch long, with a totally black shell and it is attached to this snail shell. Pearly white interior. I'm not thinking I'll get an ID with kinduv description, but perhaps someone might know. Is there a way to remove it from this shell, or is it best to let it roam on the scarlet's back. I just want to keep it with the best light if possible to remove. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

prolly an oyster, if so youll need to feed either dts or a plankton substitute i wouldnt bother removing it if it is open while on the shell

Ok...cool. I already dose with marine snow for some dusters, so that should be fine. I just don't want the thing to die and not be able to remove it from the tank cause a hermit is hosting in it.

Archived