Pod Your Reef

Did a store just rip off my reef video?

jabeuy

NorthGaHillbilly

I can't speak French but my phone can speak it! However free stuffs are most likely out the question. Everyone knows the French are complete D-bags, especially when it comes to Americans. Their perspective view of us is so filled with hate! It's like they hate us cause they ain't us!

:lol:

gulfsurfer101

I've learned that chasing plastic bags in the wind can get you in trouble around traffic, however getting them filled at your lfs and local kannecc's is where it's at Smalls! Lawnman know a lot about that!

Leave any attitude, threats or over lawyer talk out of any communication. It just fires people up.

Simple and kind. If there is no response or a decline then ramp it up without emotion about further action.

Downloading it and putting their water mark was a bitch move (if true), and illegal and dumb. Why would you risk that over selling some crap Chinese pumps for 30% markup?!

Offer them your video and provide them the embed code.

Haha it doesn't sound like you care... Don't ask for opinions if you don't care that they're using it... :slap:

It also sounds like they're asshats... In which case I wouldn't want to be associated with them or someone thinking I ripped off their video.

IMO either use the Youtube copyright infringement report or simply ignore it altogether.

If they actually did nothing wrong, I have no problem with it.

No if they did what you say, they ####ed up and it is wrong.

This happens in the bussiness side of our hobby, usually with photos of fish.

I'm curious now who it is.

Thanks for all the input everybody.

Here's my course of action:

1) Send them a nice email to either take it down or compensate me in some way if they choose to continue using it.

2)If no reply or compliance, report it to Youtube.

Worst case is nothing comes out of all this. Best case is I get some free stuff :D I'm planning out a bigger build, and any new equipment would be well worth my video efforts :)

But I realizd that the most likely outcome is that nothing happens though lol.

Don't think of it as "free" stuff if you get some compensation. That video was YOUR product. YOU spent YOUR time to create it. It has value, however small.

And the proof that it has value is that it was stolen for commercial use.

Your plan of action is correct, but don't think of anything you get as free, instead think of it as getting paid for your job.

While copyright law may differ from US to over here in Europe, your rights are still protected by French law.

Even should your proprietary rights be expired, which they aren't, you are still covered by moral rights.
The part about moral rights would be imo the best angle to use for you, see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_France

I do agree they won't be easily swayed by legal threats as this is international and they'll feel safe but some honey and a well worded personal mail might get you results.
If they hosted their modified video to youtube as well then they should be able to take it down.

It's an asshole move but some people seem to think whatever you find online is fair game, it isn't ofcourse.

Just my suggestion:

I see you sent them an email and if they don't respond promptly, before you contact YouTube, send them an actual letter. Like a snail mail real letter, printed out.

To some people is going to scare the shit out of them more than a simple email.

Edit: Oh, and make it look like it came from a law firm! :)

While copyright law may differ from US to over here in Europe, your rights are still protected by French law.

Even should your proprietary rights be expired, which they aren't, you are still covered by moral rights.

The part about moral rights would be imo the best angle to use for you, see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_France

I do agree they won't be easily swayed by legal threats as this is international and they'll feel safe but some honey and a well worded personal mail might get you results.

If they hosted their modified video to youtube as well then they should be able to take it down.

It's an asshole move but some people seem to think whatever you find online is fair game, it isn't ofcourse.

Thanks for the heads up Kurt!

Just my suggestion:

I see you sent them an email and if they don't respond promptly, before you contact YouTube, send them an actual letter. Like a snail mail real letter, printed out.

To some people is going to scare the shit out of them more than a simple email.

Edit: Oh, and make it look like it came from a law firm! :)

Haha thanks for the suggestion. I've sent an email, but if I get no response I may try snail mail if I find some time.

At this point, other than what they did not being right, it doesn't really affect me much if their "copy" video stays up (can easily report to youtube, but then that closes any chance for compensation ;)). I'm not a recording artist losing money from this haha.

Archived