Pod Your Reef

Solar powered pumps for aerating WC water outdoors

macleod82

Am setting up my first system in quite some time, only now am all growed up (mostly?), married and apartment bound. Thus I now find having space to hide fresh saltwater and keep it aerated a bit tricky.

Was thinking I might keep it on the balcony in am outdoor storage container with some small holes drilled in for ventilation. Drawbacks here are that there is no power available to the balcony so I was thinking perhaps a solar powered pond /fountain pump would do the trick. It wouldn't run at night but I'm not sure that's much problem. Would likely use a fairly overpowered heater to warm it back up proud changes (I have some years old heaters that I wouldn't trust for a stocked system).

Found one cheap at

http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-powered-fountain-pump-66093.html

How does this plan sound to you folks?

AZDesertRat

There really are no advantages to aerating the water until you are ready to use it. Disadvantages are the TDS you will be adding back in from the dirty atmosphere via the airholes, storing it outside and the temperature extremes it will go through.

I keep between 25 and 50 gallons of sealed RO/DI on hand at all times, 23 in my ATO container and 25 in 5G jugs and only mix in salt and aerate about an hour before I do the water change. In some cases a little linger if I need to adjust the temperature using an old Mag 9.5 that heats better than a heater. I don't keep any mixed water on hand except possibly overnight if I don't get to both tanks in one day.

You can completely mix the salt and raise the temperature at the same time before using with no need for all the solar and large storage vessels.

Hmm, good point on the dirty air.

I'd always heard aerating a new salt mix overnight was preferred, so I appreciate the new perspective.

Archived