Cultivated Reef

7mini bow stock lighting good for???

JDMugen

I have a 7 mini bow. the tank has been established since April/May. I currently have the 14 watt bulb the tank came with as lighting. I've had 3 red(with green dots) mushrooms in there since late June and they seem to be doing good and growing slowly. My question is will GSP and other mushrooms survive under this lighting. My original plan was to get the 32 retro but I've since loss my job anf am doing school ful-time so a $50 light kinda hurts right now.

Specs:

AGA 7mini-bow

RIO 90 PH

AquaClear 200(with BOTH filter and carbon, no time for weekly water changes)

10lb live sand

10-12lb LR

1" False Perc

3/4" Neon Goby

Small Cleaner Shrimp

5 Turbo snails

A creamy color starfish that keeps the sand clean(and no its not a chocolate chip starfish)

If you can afford the corals.... you should prolly use the money for the corals on lights... save some more than buy corals.... correct me if i'm wrong?

I have a buddy who has tons on shrooms,gsp,polyps and I think xenia. So money isn't an issue right now for those softies. When i get into more expensive corals like hammerhead,bubble,leathers,etc. i'd have no choice to buy the light.Sooo does anybody want to answer my original question? thansk

I've read in a few spots that mushrooms and polyps (Don't remember which types) will live under the stock AGA 7G lighting, but they won't thrive. If you can't afford the lights, I say go ahead and take the free corals that will survive now, and get lights later. Other reef animals (hermits, shrimps, fish) don't need lights at all to survive. You could build an attractive tank with that light, I bet.

Archived