Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

sick clown goby?

reefer21

ok, this may sound a litte odd, but I think my clown goby is very ill. his belly is all sunken in and he has not eatten anything in weeks. He has no signs of external parisites. Also he is not the color he should be. any suggestions?

hmm, is he new? have you seen him eat before? if so, what was he eating before?

we need a little more info in order to properly help you out ...

Nope, he is not new. I have had him for two weeks. He has not eaten anything that I know of. I watch the tank every time I feed my other fish and he just sits near the top of the tank on the power head as if it's his perch. I have noticed that he is more active at night. I asked the lfs where I got him, what do they feed their clown gobies and he said that they feed them frozen brine shrimp, so I got some out of the freezer and put it in the tank near him, he just looked at it and just sat there as if he didn't care about food. I would say it took the other fish and the cleaner shrimp about 5-10 minutes to consume it all. Water parameters are as follows:

pH - 8.3

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

I use a very expensive test kit made by aquarium pharmaceuticals, so I know that I'm not wrong with these figures. It could be that he is not happy because I have only a very small frag in the tank, and I've heard that they do better with more corals in the tank. Is this true? I would appreciate any help you can provide me with about this type of fish.

thanks guys for all your help, but he is eating now. It seems that I have to feed him at night after the lights go out. He must not like the bright lights. And the good thing that has come out of this is he is eatting flakes :P.

nice to hear that he's eating now. i would expect that he also eats pods once the lights go out, and in the early hours when the lights turn on... you're lucky you got it to eat flakes! has he started eating the frozen brine yet?

nope, I haven't tried to feed him frozen brine yet. I would rather feed him the flakes as it is probably more healthier for him :D.

Archived