Coral Vue Hydros

Martin's nano in China

Martin in China

natalia_la_loca

Put some CA glue on your (gloved) finger, smear it on the rock where you want to put your frag, put some glue on the bottom of the frag, put the frag on the rock, and twist it a few times to bind the glue on both sides. works every time.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Martin in China

Put some CA glue on your (gloved) finger, smear it on the rock where you want to put your frag, put some glue on the bottom of the frag, put the frag on the rock, and twist it a few times to bind the glue on both sides. works every time.

THis sounds like a plan...thanks.

Martin in China

Some update about my tank.

It's all going pretty much without much trouble, I have some cyno in my filter where the chaeto is, so far as it stays there it doesn't bother me. My openings to the filter compartment were a bit to big as it didn't skim, nothing that a little piece of plastic can't solve, now it's working fine.

20150610_152150_kleiner.thumb.jpg.76f527

20150610_152431_kleiner.thumb.jpg.c6d7c8

Martin in China

Why is it that my hermit crabs often sit still in the same spot for days....water parameters are OK...there is enough to eat for them...so???why why why?

CronicReefer

Why is it that my hermit crabs often sit still in the same spot for days....water parameters are OK...there is enough to eat for them...so???why why why?

Hermit crabs molt and when they do this it takes a couple days for their new exoskeletons to harden. During this time they find themselves a safe place to sit and wait. If they are juveniles this will happen more often and will become less and less as they age.

Martin in China

Can't seem to get my phosphate and nitrate level right, it keeps going up and down, it isn't to bad, not much algae at all, but this could be my CUC at work and I would like those level as low as need to be, near "0".

I've got a skimmer, some Purigen, Clear fx pro and even some Cheato in the filter, I don't think I over feed and with only 2 small fish it could hardly be to much bio load. So what am I doing wrong...or better, what can I do to make it better?

Can't seem to get my phosphate and nitrate level right, it keeps going up and down, it isn't to bad, not much algae at all, but this could be my CUC at work and I would like those level as low as need to be, near "0".

I've got a skimmer, some Purigen, Clear fx pro and even some Cheato in the filter, I don't think I over feed and with only 2 small fish it could hardly be to much bio load. So what am I doing wrong...or better, what can I do to make it better?

not much can really be improved, naturally the levels will have small fluctuations, even in the ocean there are small localised fluctuations. Nothing is wrong and really there isn't much that can be improved.
Martin in China

The Elegance coral I have is brownish, I think it's the high NO3 (between 20 and 25ppm), I would like to get it back to its former glory color.

The Elegance coral I have is brownish, I think it's the high NO3 (between 20 and 25ppm), I would like to get it back to its former glory color.

more consumers of nutrients= less nutrients in the water. I have also heard dosing potassium actually can help color up brown/browning corals.
  • 2 weeks later...
Martin in China

My star polyps are slowly opening less and less polyps, it looks like dying. I do feed zoo plankton from Seachem but no Phyto.

What is wrong and what can I do to make them grow back?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Martin in China

Haven't posted for a long time here, so it is about time for a little update.

The tank had some big problems with Dino algae, luckily I did fight them off and now it is going really well566e3e4202627_20151212_163624shop.jpg.92Sorry for the crappy picture (this was last week), today I got a few more corals which really brighten the whole tank up.

I need to take some more pictures when they are fully opened, but for now this is how it looks.

20151219_154715.jpg.f9b24b718528c98b9e77

I still have a little problem with 'dust' on the surface, I wonder if a stronger return pump would help as this would mean that the overflow works harder to suck the surface clean, but I am scared that a stronger pump could suck my filter compartment dry, it's only a small compartment at the back (actually it at the side of the tank), the pump now is 265 Gallon/ hour.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

• 3 weeks later...
Martin in China

New edition to my tank...I know that my tank is not big enough if it start to grow, but even if I have to move everything else out, this was always one of my goals to have a simple tank with an Anenome and 2 Clown fish.

568f0534a2dd3_20160107_174638kleiner2.jp

Martin in China

HEEEELP!!!

Red slime while my Phosphate = less than 0.03 and Nitrates less than 10.....also getting a little patch of GHA....

I am going to do a (soft) blackout for 3 days than only run actinic lights with the white lights on on day 5

Martin in China

I am currently doing a soft blackout, did a water change of 30% which I will keep doing once a week for a couple of weeks and I am getting some GFO to mix in with Carbon.

Martin in China

Cyno is still active, even after blackout period and only running the blue lights....no GFO delivered yet, my hope is set on GFO, but I'm not sure if it will help.

I also think my cyno outbreak is because I had/have some die off Xenia and I replaced the sand a couple of weeks ago which didn't had enough time to recolonize with beneficial bacteria to compete against the cyno.....

I would like to hear your thoughts about this.

• 2 weeks later...
Martin in China

I should not visit the LFS....something will stick to my fingers...like this nice Zoa

20160124_192426.jpg.b4b8436b86bfa5625f0d

So far it is going pretty good, the only problem is the red slime, I've added some GFO to the bag of Carbon a week ago, I guess it's still to early to see results yet.

Archived