Pod Your Reef

red crab Id please

kappa

hey cool crab!

I don't know what it is though.

I've seen them in stores before and they just called them "Hawaian Red leg Crabs"", but i don't know if thats right.

thanks! this guy has small claws, and is suppose to be reef safe. I bought her for 5 bucks at reef collection. I like that she is red, and has those long antanae eyes that can fold over inside her shell.

I see, I will reasearch fiddler crab. Unfortunately, this is one of those buy now, find out later type situation. sigh....well, maybe I can return him.

Anybody else wanna guess what this guy is?

I am now searching the net to find a picture of this guy.

If I do have a fiddler crab it is a female because both claws are small, and are the same size.

This crab is purple on bottom. Sometimes thier legs are purple.

Possibly a xanthid? could be a female fiddler but not many are red I think... I`ve never seen a red one check my gallery for xanthid pictures.

thanks sdbeazley, I will do a goolgle search on the xanthid Xanthid.

Btw, I could not find the Xanthid on your website gallery.

if it is infact a Xanthid crab, then it looks like it gets pretty good sized, and may pose a threat to fish when it gets bigger.

its still a cool crab. i guess its not the same as the one i saw, because the one i saw didn't have the "Xanthid" spots.

I hope this is not a fiddler crab which requires it to come out of water ever once in a while to stay happy. Right now are the crab does is wnders in to some cravices where the subtrate meets the rock edges. She will stay there, and burry her self down a little, a very great sand shifter she is!

edit: I have just read your friends posts. That looks exactly like my crab, it's a fiddler if he is correct.

I wonder why the lfs only carries the females?

Oh yeah, I went back to the lfs to talk to the guy about the red crab. the lfs guy (i will get his name soon) told me that the red crab is not reef safe, but so far I see no destruction done yet.

I might have to return her.

AReeferIsExpensive

they "pick" at things when the lights are off..and then they die from not being able to leave the water. I say get your $ back.

Amazing, I still can not find any pictures that resemble this red crab. I am now looking for all sepcies of this crab. I will return her tommorow, and let her die at the lfs.

okay, I will.

Btw, I will keep the red fiddler crab. This is one of those situations where I feel that either decision I make is the wrong one.

Almost no information could be found on the female red fiddler. I went to the lfs today, and had the nice employee there to pick up a few crabs and we both looked at the bottom of each red crab. They were all female crabs.

I agree with Areefer

Red fiddler

I actually bought 1 had it for about 3 weeks before it died, I thought it was attacked by my damsel, so i bought another one, it died 2 days later. It hid in the rocks all day.

It was a cheapy like $2 but i guess that explains why they keep on dying, they dont like to stay in the water 24/7

Wonder how the lfs keeps them alive, since i bought them at 2 diff places and both places had them in the bottom of their tanks

yeah, when I bought my female fiddler crab, I went back to tell them about their survival rate. They told me they had that crab for 2 months. I looked in the tank, and saw on on it's back, iI suppose that one is dead. I hope my 02 in the water will keep her alive, so far, I saw her the other day on one of my rocks. Like I said earlier, either way, returning the crab and get my money back, or keeping the crap, it will still die.

One thing I could do is to ask the lfs to not carry this crab as they are not long lived in correct captivity. They just might listen.

btw, the owner of the lfs had no idea what crab it was, and told me that it was in the shippment they recieved in a package.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the boxer/pom pom crab! She looks like a cheer leader, just kiding.

My fiddler crab is still alive today!!! HAHA!

I take her out of the tank every once in a while, and place her in a bowl with live sand and alittle sw from the tank. There is barely any sw in the bowl, just enough for the crab to stay moist.

Hopefully she will live long!

I like to watch her dig down into the substrate and disappear completely.

Archived