Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

So, anyone making this work with an Apex?

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

I'm ordering a light for my PicO DB18 and I've been back and forth between a Kessil A160WE and the AI Prime, but I have seen just so much support for the Nanobox stuff (and the arrays look great) that I have to consider it.

I have an APEX with the integrated VDM module, so they isn't going to work directly with the Nanobox stuff. Is there an option to get this in an Apex friendly flavour, or can it be otherwise converted/connected with a third party device?

skyscraper2290

You can use a bluefish controller, or the bluefish mini which I believe just came out or is about to come out.

jedimasterben

Besides the fact that the Apex is (and has always been) shitty for controlling lighting, it is, indeed, possible to control with a 0-10v singal, but it requires conversion. O2Surplus on Reefcentral sells the converters for like $20ish, just add external 12v power to power the little controller that does the conversion and you have four channel 0-10v control.

I'm ordering a light for my PicO DB18 and I've been back and forth between a Kessil A160WE and the AI Prime, but I have seen just so much support for the Nanobox stuff (and the arrays look great) that I have to consider it.

I have an APEX with the integrated VDM module, so they isn't going to work directly with the Nanobox stuff. Is there an option to get this in an Apex friendly flavour, or can it be otherwise converted/connected with a third party device?

I would PM Dave on this site to ask about the apex control. I have the Tide with a Storm controller. I have pre-ordered the Blue Fish mini. That being said, I also have an Apex and have just purchased the VDM module. I am planning to explore the use of my Apex as well. Technically it looks like it should work but some type of plug adapter may be required.

I do love my Tide! Makes my tank look great!

Marc.The.Shark

I just bought a nano box array for my diy setup, have an apex & bought the converter from O2 Surplus as Ben suggested, it will convert the PWM to 0-10v but in the end after studying all the apex lighting misgivings, I placed an order for a Bluefish. I was up in the air as far as the full or mini version, but in the end went with the full version. I figure when I upgrade my tank, I won't be restricted on what I can control as the mini will only work with the Meanwell LDD drivers. Also if I like the upgrades to the bluefish; outlets, probes, etc, then I'll just get rid of the Apex. People love the apex & I have an old Neptune Aquacontroller Jr. as well, but I think it's still a little rough around the edges, even with the new Fusion. For $600-800, I would've expected more, luckily I got mine used & sold off all the extras an ended up with the controller for free.

jedimasterben

Technically it looks like it should work but some type of plug adapter may be required.

Again, it isn't just a different plug, it is different technologies (0-10v analog vs 5v PWM), takes a small controller to convert between the two.

Marc.The.Shark

Again, it isn't just a different plug, it is different technologies (0-10v analog vs 5v PWM), takes a small controller to convert between the two.

As Ben says, you need something like this:

post-12858-0-80171600-1426794316_thumb.jpg

jedimasterben

As Ben says, you need something like this:

And actually, he makes new ones now that have ethernet jacks on them to make it even easier to connect. :)

TheKingInYellow

Looks like a Tide won't grow SPS in an 18" cube (18L x 15W x 16T) and Duo might be too big. A pair of Tides make more sense?

Marc.The.Shark

That would b sweet if it was plug and play from the Apex, too bad the Apex sucks for lighting!!! Lol

Looks like a Tide won't grow SPS in an 18" cube (18L x 15W x 16T) and Duo might be too big. A pair of Tides make more sense?

Duo won't be too large, that's the one I'd go for.

Like the others have said, the unit would require a adaptor like the ones above. However the new Bluefish Mini will be leaps and bounds better!

-Dave

TheKingInYellow

Dave, with a goal of growing SPS in a 18" L x 14" W x 16" D tank, should I be looking Tide or Duo?

Dave, with a goal of growing SPS in a 18" L x 14" W x 16" D tank, should I be looking Tide or Duo?

DUO, the main reason being is that 90% of the time the customer gets something a little larger quicker than they thought. :)

-Dave

TheKingInYellow

HA! I'm debating taking most of this equipment and going to a 75g anyhow so you are more right than you know...

Archived