Coral Vue Hydros

mysis and seahorses?

reefguru21

I've been on OceanRiders.com and read that there saehorses will redely eat frozen mysis shrimp. I am ordering four Hippocampus kuda and am wondering do most if not all seahorses eat mysis. I can get them for about $10.00 from my LFS suppler in stead of $35.00 from OceanRiders.com Do I really need to shell out the extra money or what? I'm clueless on the subject.

If you can get the stuff locally, go for it. Is it PE mysis, or another brand?

Also, do you have any pairs of shrimp in the tank? Baby shrimp are great seahorse food.

Would a pair of skunk cleaners be a good addition in a setup for seahorses? Do seahorses pick at these shrimp? Just wondering, That is a good idea I never thought about adding shrimp tho the tank for that reason. I'm going to go ahead and get the horses from my LFS. I hope this all works.

I understand that you can also feed them newly hatched brine shrimp from time to time, but I have no experience with it myself. Just make sure you're not putting the seahorses in a tank with too much current. They will NOT enjoy life very much if you do :)

• 3 weeks later...

DO NOT BUY SEAHORSES FROM YOUR LFS!!!!!!! The seahorses on oceanrider have been specially trained to eat frozen food. It is extremely difficult to teach seahorses to eat frozen food. I have kept and bred seahorses for many years and I still have not been able to get them to feed on frozen food except for the ocean riders (since you buy the trained). Plus you have to make sure that the seahorses at the LFS are not sick (ie look god, not scratching their heads, etc) otherwise your whole tank will go bad. I recommend going to www.seahorse.org there is a great group of people there that will give you any information you need!:P

Archived