Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kuya's Nano Tank Journey - BuildMyLED Lights 14K

KuyasNanoReef

KuyasNanoReef

i was like... how in the hell does duncan rhyme with flag... then realized frag... nice lookin peice.

Thanks Matt(:

....Also, I'm looking to upgrade my damn stock pump but there's NO MINI JET 606s in stock AMYWHERE!! I'm pretty sure they discontinued them)): So what other pump can I use?!?!?

Another pic of my Duncan...

A9082950-C45E-49AE-922D-5FC2FFB66A19_zps

KuyasNanoReef

UPDATE:

So I was thinking about my filtration and changed my mind about the whole in tank media basket, and instead, I plan to just make a Refugium out of the back filter chamber.. So pretty much I'm going to put come coral rubble on the bottom with good flow in between those rocks so all the fish waste and stuff like that can't build up.. Then I'll put some alge in there and it'll be a mini Refugium(:

Of course pics on the set up will be included, but what do you guys think? Cool idea??

sedatedlabmonkey

I built a media basket for my spec, but ultimately I added a small canister filter to mine for more flow and more room for media. There are a lot of ways to set up a spec v successfully. I plan to use my rear chamber as a refugium ultimately. I just haven't gotten to putting it together yet. Check out my build for ideas!http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/359080-sedatedlabmonkeys-spec-v-marine-orbit-led/

Your tank looks great so far! Keep it up

KuyasNanoReef

Hi guys! Sorry for the horribly late update but I've been pretty busy with life! ahaha! Anyways, just for a little update I've just ordered a 14,000K LED from BuildMyLED with a manual dimmer! I can't wait till that comes so I can finally start getting some better corals!

On a more sad note, my poor Duncan was doing so well for the first few days, then all of a sudden he won't open anymore): I'm suspecting it's the lack of lighting as the stock Fluval Spec V light is pretty much crap but idk! My water perameters are almost perfect, I've checked Ammonia, Trates, and Trites, yet it still isn't opening... Maybe it's somthing to do with Calcium? or some other essential mineral for corals to thrive?? I need help! Help save him! ):

Latest FTS

62F1674D-DC00-44D5-B6B9-357A0B5175CF_zps

Don't get anymore corals until your new light comes. The stock light is basically just a flashlight. It doesn't do crap for corals. You probably shouldn't have got any corals until you had a reef light. Hopefully your light comes before you lose your Duncan. Also, there's a possibility it could be a calcium problem too but my guess is that it needs more light. Do you currently test for calcium? If not, I would go out and pick up a calcium and alkalinity test. Red Sea makes a test kit that includes magnesium, calcium and alkalinity. I use it and it works great! Hope your Duncan pulls through and hangs in there until the reef light comes in.

Hi guys! Sorry for the horribly late update but I've been pretty busy with life! ahaha! Anyways, just for a little update I've just ordered a 14,000K LED from BuildMyLED with a manual dimmer! I can't wait till that comes so I can finally start getting some better corals!

On a more sad note, my poor Duncan was doing so well for the first few days, then all of a sudden he won't open anymore): I'm suspecting it's the lack of lighting as the stock Fluval Spec V light is pretty much crap but idk! My water perameters are almost perfect, I've checked Ammonia, Trates, and Trites, yet it still isn't opening... Maybe it's somthing to do with Calcium? or some other essential mineral for corals to thrive?? I need help! Help save him! ):

Latest FTS

You duncan should do fine under any light. Very easy to keep and will grow and open up under almost any light. Looking at your pic from when you picked it up I think you were doomed. The frag has 2 heads one is dead or dying. A hearty coral like a duncan should not be purchased if you see signs of decay. When you buy a coral and half of it is dead that is not a good sign.

KuyasNanoReef

You duncan should do fine under any light. Very easy to keep and will grow and open up under almost any light. Looking at your pic from when you picked it up I think you were doomed. The frag has 2 heads one is dead or dying. A hearty coral like a duncan should not be purchased if you see signs of decay. When you buy a coral and half of it is dead that is not a good sign.

damn... thats what I get for buying coral from a sketchy LFS. LESSON LEARNED!!

thanks man.

KuyasNanoReef

any other ideas on what the problem might be with my coral?): I just ordered a reef testing kit to check Alk, Calcium, and all that... maybe it might be my water chem?

KuyasNanoReef

Sorry for the lack of updates....

So i just got in my AcroPower and my complete test kit. Tested all my parameters and got:

Salinity: 1.025ppm

Alkalinity: 12+ (Is this bad? How do I get it down to the suggested 7-9dKH?)

Calcium: 380-440ppm

Phosphate: ~0.25ppm

pH: 8.0-8.5

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: ~10ppm

Ammonia: 0ppm

How does everything look to you guys? My Duncan is still closed lol but isnt melting so Im hoping he stays alive till my new light comes which should be here any day now, if not next week! C'mon Build My LED!!

Just did a water change also and I think Im actually going to switch up my aquascape... Pics coming soon. Also, proabably going to feed about a quarter of some PE Mysis to feed my snails and shrimp(:

KuyasNanoReef

ACROPOWER IS AWESOME!!!!!! In just ONE DAY I have seen results!! My Duncan has literally been closed for about two weeks and within 6 hours my Duncan has peeked out!

35AC80C1-BCD3-40FE-A737-DF8BA3A5A6A5_zps

Coral Scaper

Strange about your alk, are you dosing anything to the tank? What salt are you using?

There is no point in feeding your tank acropower at this stage, you are just adding unnecesary nutrients. I'd suggest spot feeding your duncan, some mysis or pellets should be readily accepted.

KuyasNanoReef

Strange about your alk, are you dosing anything to the tank? What salt are you using?

There is no point in feeding your tank acropower at this stage, you are just adding unnecesary nutrients. I'd suggest spot feeding your duncan, some mysis or pellets should be readily accepted.

I'm not dosing anything to the tank! It's weird lol... and yeah, I just wanted to dose the AcroPower to see what the effects would be on my Duncan.. he's been closed forever and I've been trying to see if he'd EVER come out!! Thanks for the input tho! I love when knowledgable members help me out(:

Oh and the salt I'm using is Instant Ocean (the purple brand)

KuyasNanoReef

Hey guys! long time no talk! So a few things have happened and one of them is two new additions to the tank:

True Percula Mated Pair

7A618511-6ECA-422B-BE3F-AA6B6F623D1B_zps

So I've had them for about 6 days so far and they seem to be very happy and lively! I think they like their new home and have started renovations(: The famale borrows into the sand kicking it up everywhere!!

Another thing that happened that was a surprise to me was that my shrimp molted! I thought he was dead when I walked in):

D40030D8-E680-4BCD-91F4-005C2ADC5C11_zps

80801C0F-6B61-4D06-AE4E-F923F5D91905_zps

• 2 weeks later...
KuyasNanoReef

It's been awhile since I last posted but here's my biggest addition to my tank!!

GBTA

454AA97F-ED91-4E34-A0A9-4AEC7E071C00_zps

21D0A2EF-7B58-4430-9746-385FF68813C8_zps

This is literally my centerpiece of my tank, and the reason why I haven't mounted any of my frags yet.. I plan on getting way more LPS, some GSP and Yellow Pollys to cover the black side wall...

I really hope my True Perculas host this bad ass mf'er cuz that would be damn awesome.

Let me know what you guys think(:

PS: The pictures literally don't do the GBTA Sh*t!! It's absolutely beautiful and the most flouresent green you could bet imagine with purple tips!!

KuyasNanoReef

bad news guys... Brooklynella has broken out in my tank and has taken the lives of one of my clownfish and is currently working on my other... the one surviving is very strong and hasn't been that affected but I don't doubt he'll be heading for the grave pretty soon. Im going to let my tank settle for awhile probably the recommended 8 weeks for the Brooklynella to die off... Im guessing it was a sudden spike in ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites.

If you guys have any ways i can speed up this process of clearing my tank of the brooklynella please let me know!

Archived