Pod Your Reef

Frag Tanks -Sand or Bare bottom. Maybe both?

Sunstar

I have a shortened 10 gallon. It used to be a 10 until I cut out a broken area and reduced it. It used to server as a betta breeder, but I now want to use it as a frag tank.

I intend to get egg crate, but I wish to know, what would be best:

Sandy Bottom, or bare bottom. I am considering both - a sand bed for something, glass to grow GPS on, racks to prop stuff up. It's not the largest tank so what is best.

I intend to filter it with a canister - keeping in mind nitrate traps (I would rinse it periodically. I would use Phosban in some of the baskets, as well as live rock rubble.

I have been cycling rock and sand in a tank for a few months now I may add the rock to the tank to improve the biofiltration, I think the sand is important for the same reason. I do not want to take sand from my 10 as it is highly contaminated with bryopsis and no critters yet to nom it away. All my fraggables are in my 1.5 gallon anyway.

So what do people with frag tanks generally suggest; and why?

For a frag tank I would (and am) going BB. Simply because its easier to maintain and keep clean.

If you're going with a canister filter, look into SeaChem Matrix, they say their product works "particularly well" in canister filters. it should provide plenty of space for filtration leaving more space for frags. I am using Matrix in my sump as the only bio filtration seeded with a couple of pounds of live rock.

I got a canister off my sister, so that is already in my possession, its a fluval I believe.

Cool, so check out the Matrix to give you bio filtration.

Archived