Innovative Marine Aquariums

I've made a huge and terrible mistake with my rock-scape

crouton

I spent an hour setting this up from the front, a pleasing shape when viewed straight on. I epoxied the rocks together and then set the tank up at the side of my desk and notice this view, my primary view of the tank most of the time.

This is my tank when viewed from the side. I've made a huge and terrible mistake.

post-78789-0-01935700-1426206661_thumb.jpg

It's not that bad. I would add a small piece of rock to go between the top and bottom on this side to make a cave in the middle. Once you get it covered with corals and maybe a macro or two, it should look okay.

It might not be that bad once it's all filled in with corals and frags.

Why eggcrate?

My sand hasn't come yet. I agree with your assessment of the coral coverage, but in the short term its only going to get worse as the red coralline spots start showing up...

It's not that bad. I would add a small piece of rock to go between the top and bottom on this side to make a cave in the middle. Once you get it covered with corals and maybe a macro or two, it should look okay.

This is going to be a mantis shrimp tank, its arranged to theres a small cave front and center in the middle. I might just turn it around various angles until its not noticeable though.

Gsp would be pretty too. I have some growing on one of my rocks that Gertie uses as her main home, though she has like 3 other locations she likes, just digging some sand away from under the rock.

Gsp would be pretty too. I have some growing on one of my rocks that Gertie uses as her main home, though she has like 3 other locations she likes, just digging some sand away from under the rock.

How deep of a sand bed would you suggest to keep mine happy? I'm getting a N. Curacaoensis in a few weeks.

My sandbed is only like an inch. If there's a hole they can crawl into they'll continue to widen it slowly over time and remain there. They like being under cover.

My sandbed is only like an inch. If there's a hole they can crawl into they'll continue to widen it slowly over time and remain there. They like being under cover.

Thanks, any feeding advice? Do i need to do additional feeding or can i just cycle through a hermit and snail cleanup crew as he eats them?

Mysis shrimp or a piece of frozen food once or twice a week. There are times she just lets the food fall or just shows no interest. Here's one of those times. I feed mine once a week.

CronicReefer

Mysis shrimp or a piece of frozen food once or twice a week. There are times she just lets the food fall or just shows no interest. Here's one of those times. I feed mine once a week.

That's awesome you can feed her by hand like that. I'd try that with my lobster but I'd probably come out missing some chunks of my fingertips ;).

That's awesome you can feed her by hand like that. I'd try that with my lobster but I'd probably come out missing some chunks of my fingertips ;).

I fed her a long time w/ tongs then got tired of it so when she was like an inch big I started taking the chance. I respect her and she knows who feeds her so there's some mutual respect but she still fears me.

Archived